Dizzyfugu
Topic Author

Use/interpretation of "Adaptive" (Human Kin Talent)

Sun 07 Jul 2024, 09:36

Just curious how different tables interpret/use the Human Kin Talent "Adaptive".
Humans are new to the Forbidden Lands and are seen as intruders by the other kin. But no other kin can adapt to new situations and living conditions the way the humans can. If you spend a Willpower Point when you are about to roll for a skill, you can roll for any skill of your choice to achieve the same result. You must be able to motivate how you use the chosen skill. The GM has final say, but should give you some leeway.
I know that there are popular choices for this task, e .g. "Lore" for Sorcerers as a "do-it-all" solution, or "Performance". However, how liberal is this handled in real game life? I have become skepitical that having read a book about melee helps you in a real situation, or that "Performance" (IMHO rather a vocal/expressive Talent, but none that includes Acriobatic [=Move]) is really good to dodge a blow in melee - even if both cost a WP to use in that situation? On the other hand, if you define the Skills strictly the potential switch appears rather unlikely? The elves' healing ability has also seen some restrictions and clarifications, and I feel the Humans' Kin Talent also requires some better guidelines to assess what's possible or not?

Any examples, practices or principles to share?

Quorlox

Re: Use/interpretation of "Adaptive" (Human Kin Talent)

Sun 07 Jul 2024, 13:00

I haven't had any humans PCs, so haven't had to deal with this. If desired, one could limit it to skills that share the same base Attribute to maintain some similarity.

Fenhorn

Sun 07 Jul 2024, 14:57

Player's Handbook page 62:
You must be able to motivate how you use the chosen skill. The GM has final say, but should give you some leeway.
I haven't had any humans PCs, so haven't had to deal with this. If desired, one could limit it to skills that share the same base Attribute to maintain some similarity.
The talent will be almost useless if you only allow skills with the same attribute.

Some classic uses in our campaign:
  • Move instead of Melee - With your fantastic moves you outmaneuvered your enemy, hitting him fairly easy because of it.
  • Manipulation instead of Melee - "look a dragon", "where", another way of getting an easy hit.
  • Performance instead of Stealth - You do a believable act so you, that way, get very close to the target or manage to bypass him.
  • Healing instead of Melee - It helps if you know where the nerves go when you do a grapple attack (Spock?)
  • Lore instead of Move - You have read that this monster very often bite to the right. You pretty much just have to take a step to the left when dodging it.
The player who played a human character used it in more situations than this. I only took example that uses skills with a different attribute.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Dizzyfugu
Topic Author

Mon 08 Jul 2024, 12:04

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far, highly appreciated. :D

leaddolphin

Thu 11 Jul 2024, 23:29

I played a game where the GM let a character use her Viennese Line Waltz skill in combat. (The moves are the same, except that you end with a stabbing instead of a bow.) This is how I expect to let my human PC use skills.