Jeffrywith1e
Topic Author

Step Dice

Tue 09 Apr 2024, 01:23

The Year Zero Engine / Step Dice version is my favorite of the different iterations of the YZE.

The list of games and settings that use this dice method:
  • Twilight 2000
  • Blade Runner
  • The 23rd Letter
  • de occulta
  • ex sanguine
  • The Eerie Files
  • Rise of R'lyeh
  • Terminal State
  • Jedd's Wasteland Magazine - A Guide to Vehicle Customization in the New World
Am I missing anything?

LatchKeyKid

Re: Step Dice

Thu 11 Apr 2024, 15:44

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the step dice method as compared with the more traditional dice pool? No shame in liking either but I'm just wondering if you can elaborate on its benefits as I've never ran or even played in a Free League game with it. The closest thing that I've played with it would be a short experience with Savage Worlds which has something similar yet different.

Colgrevance

Sat 13 Apr 2024, 12:02

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the step dice method as compared with the more traditional dice pool?
- Step dice use fewer dice, so checks are easier to handle, faster to resolve and you are less liable to roll the wrong number of dice
- Some players find it frustrating that rolling subjectively large dice pools can still regularly lead to failed checks
- Step dice cannot generate as many successes, so designers (and thus, players) have an easier time finding meaningful uses for them

LatchKeyKid

Sat 13 Apr 2024, 21:56

Fair enough and thanks. I haven't experienced any of those potential negatives but obviously tastes change from person to person. I do hope to one day try step dice for a couple games to see if I like the overall feel in general or like it even more than dice pools (which would be an interesting development!).

Thomson

Tue 21 May 2024, 10:35

...obviously tastes change from person to person...
Definitely. I personally can live with dice pool systems and can have a lot of fun with them (like old school Star Wars D6 or Shadowrun), but I don't like rolling lots of dice at all. Especially when some of them end up on the floor all the time.

For other people, grabbing tons of dice and rolling them to "feel their power" seems to be the greatest fun they can have in game.

pelorus

Wed 29 May 2024, 10:19

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the step dice method as compared with the more traditional dice pool?
If we think about this.

If I have 1 dice (d6) in a action, the chance of a success (6) and the chance of a 1 are the same.
If I increase to 2 dice (d6), the chance of success and the chance of a 1 remain the same.

With Step Dice

If I have 1d6, it's the same as with Pool
But if I got to d8, the chance of success increases to 3/8 and the chance of a 1 decreases from 1/6 to 1/8.

So, the results are more grounded IMO. Skill and ability increase and the chance of failure decreases.

That's the main thing. There are others.
--
https://www.patreon.com/Lategaming
See my YZE Games and Supplements on my blog: lategaming.com

9littlebees

Tue 11 Jun 2024, 11:02

If we think about this.

If I have 1 dice (d6) in a action, the chance of a success (6) and the chance of a 1 are the same.
If I increase to 2 dice (d6), the chance of success and the chance of a 1 remain the same.

With Step Dice

If I have 1d6, it's the same as with Pool
But if I got to d8, the chance of success increases to 3/8 and the chance of a 1 decreases from 1/6 to 1/8.

So, the results are more grounded IMO. Skill and ability increase and the chance of failure decreases.

That's the main thing. There are others.
Just wanted to quickly add that there's nothing to say that 1s have to be important in a dice pool implementation of the YZE. More than one of the official games ignore 1s completely and the majority of my own games I'm creating using the (dice pool) YZE ignore 1s. I see this argument often to explain why stepped dice are somehow better than dice pools and it simply isn't true (or at least it doesn't have to be). Anyway, just my 2 pence FWIW.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

pelorus

Fri 14 Jun 2024, 08:51

Just wanted to quickly add that there's nothing to say that 1s have to be important in a dice pool implementation of the YZE. More than one of the official games ignore 1s completely and the majority of my own games I'm creating using the (dice pool) YZE ignore 1s. I see this argument often to explain why stepped dice are somehow better than dice pools and it simply isn't true (or at least it doesn't have to be). Anyway, just my 2 pence FWIW.
Literally no-one said Step Dice was better. We were asked about what we prefer. No need to make it adversarial. Step Dice is better for me because it handles skill levels better (in my opinion), handles Banes better (in my opinion) , it's less swingy (fact) and you don't have to throw 10+ dice. (I know some people love the clickety clack, I'm not one of them)
--

ExileInParadise

Fri 14 Jun 2024, 14:02

The fact that YZE supports dice pools and step dice in a balanced way means we all win.

Agree with no need to be adversarial - I personally am glad to be able to use the SRD to translate dice pool games like ALIENS to step dice if needed or step dice games like BLADE RUNNER to dice pools if needed.

That lets us bring the best games we can to the table for our players regardless of which method the players prefer.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

pelorus

Tue 18 Jun 2024, 15:12

--