JJCTTRPG
Topic Author

Dungeons & Dragons conversion question.

Sat 08 Jun 2024, 05:21

What would the Dragonbane equivalent be of a +1 or +2 Sword? Boon to hit? Extra damage? Indestructible?
Mastercrafted just doesn't quite do enough in my opinion. Some of the more specialized magic weapons I can work out in terms of damage or bonus damage to specific creatures. The bonus to hit is throwing me off a bit.

Short Fey

Re: Dungeons & Dragons conversion question.

Sat 08 Jun 2024, 07:54

As far as i can gleaned (but can be wrong, so those who played older edditions may correct me : 3 ), there has never been anything like +1/+2 weapons.

If an item was magical, it either:
A: was enchanted so you could use it to cast a spell.
B: It had a more uniqe effect (like Sting from The Hobbit, glowing when goblins where near).

Otherwise it was "just" magical (so it could be used to cut down monsters that was resistant or immune to none magical weapons).

But magickal loot is meant to be rare in Dragonbane. If you check through out the adventures from the core boxed set, the number of magickal weapons can be counted on one hand. so i think it's a tricky subject to convert from dnd.
Beware the fey!

paladin2019

Sat 08 Jun 2024, 11:56

Going by the example of the game's cousin, RuneQuest, apply the effects of enchant weapon for "basic" magic weapons. Use higher power levels when adapting bigger bonuses.

JJCTTRPG
Topic Author

Tue 11 Jun 2024, 03:35

As far as i can gleaned (but can be wrong, so those who played older edditions may correct me : 3 ), there has never been anything like +1/+2 weapons.

If an item was magical, it either:
A: was enchanted so you could use it to cast a spell.
B: It had a more uniqe effect (like Sting from The Hobbit, glowing when goblins where near).

Otherwise it was "just" magical (so it could be used to cut down monsters that was resistant or immune to none magical weapons).

But magickal loot is meant to be rare in Dragonbane. If you check through out the adventures from the core boxed set, the number of magickal weapons can be counted on one hand. so i think it's a tricky subject to convert from dnd.
Okay. That's what I needed to know for stocking dungeons, arming boss monsters, and just how available to make them in general. This makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Dendron

Thu 20 Jun 2024, 14:49

In the classical DoD there was a spell called "Enchant weapon" that gave you +1 to Hit and +1 in damage done.

The system was not the same though. You would still roll a d20 and skille where from 1 to 20+ (yes you could have more then 20 in a skill).

In current system I would give the same, +1 on the skill and +1 to damage. (Have not thought about this enough though).
Should also mention that some of these weapons would draw power from the user => the cost of the spell.
So a +1/+1 weapon would need 2 WP when activated, would be active for 15mins.