thebluecanary
Topic Author

Darkvision

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 18:46

i am wondering about darkvision especially the nightkin who get a bane in direct sunlight but no advantage in darkness is this a design choice , a slip or what , in my head if you live at night , dont like sunlight you should get advantage at night and also in the original version som pc kin or races did have darkvision.

Short Fey

Re: Darkvision

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 19:07

In my head, the reason they are called "Nightkin" is less about that they live and are perfectly adapted to live in the night, and more their aversion to sunlight means they prefer to be up and about during the night sense they are harmed by sunlight . This is actually a thing that existed in older editions of the game (as far as i could find at least). Even in the earliest books, there is nothing that specifically says that they have nightvision, just they have a preference to act during the night (And in fact the name they had back then was "Dark/Black Kin", which you can probably guess why they don't have that name anymore). It's kinda like a nocturnal person preferring to be up and about during the night as they feel more comfortable and active at that time, even though they lack night vision.
Beware the fey!

Kilter

Thu 16 Nov 2023, 23:10

Darkness: Unless otherwise stated, monsters can see in
darkness and don’t suffer the effects on page 52.
Found on page 84 of the PDF.

it looks like on Monster get "night vision" and anything with the trait non-monster or without a monster attack table, needs a light source.

JJCTTRPG

Tue 11 Jun 2024, 03:32

Darkness: Unless otherwise stated, monsters can see in
darkness and don’t suffer the effects on page 52.
Found on page 84 of the PDF.

it looks like on Monster get "night vision" and anything with the trait non-monster or without a monster attack table, needs a light source.
I love this answer. Thank you!