Miki
Topic Author

Darkening of Mirkwood campaign question

Sun 02 Jun 2024, 09:22

Hi y'all. Just curious about what other might think about the issue. I'm getting close to the end of the campaign, and wonder a bit about the "Return to Dol Guldur" adventure. I find the whole premise quite unrealistic: if the Lieutenant is able to get the Lamp, why would it leave it for the whole winter at Fenbridge Castle rather than bringing it back to Dol Guldur? Hanrahan states that it is because of "heavy rains", but it seems quite light considering the importance of the object? Any opinion or advice on the matter?

ImperatorRex

Re: Darkening of Mirkwood campaign question

Sun 02 Jun 2024, 21:10

I would say that, due to the rains, the marshes around Dol Guldur would become impassable even for the Nazgûl.

Harlath

Sun 02 Jun 2024, 21:58

Ringwraiths don’t like water!

Below is from Unfinished tales:

“All except the Witch-king were apt to stray when alone by daylight; and all, again save the Witch-king, feared water and were unwilling, except in dire need, to enter it or to cross streams unless dryshod by a bridge.”

Miki
Topic Author

Wed 05 Jun 2024, 18:27

Interesting. A lapse in my Tolkien lore, I stand corrected. Based on the notion, I think I will just put the retrieval in the almost immediate aftermath of the theft of the lamp (being barred a whole season by rains still sound a bit stretched to me, but a few weeks would work).
Thanks, it will improve the story.

Harlath

Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:38

No worries, glad to help!

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 10 Jun 2024, 03:18

Ringwraiths are afraid of water... this is present also in the books when they talk with Glorfindel at the ford of Bruinen and he leads them into the raging water. They lose their (physical) shapes and powers in water (for a while).

“You shall neither have the ring not me”.

In Peter Jackson's films, it's Arwen but that's another story. Jackson wanted Arwen to appear less passive than she appears in the book.

Miki
Topic Author

Sun 16 Jun 2024, 21:01

Hi, coming back with just a comment: there is no Nazgûl at Fenbridge Castle in the adventure as written in DoM; it would make the challenge of getting the lamp back almost impossible. But if no Nazgûl, why would the water be such an obstacle? And if a Nazgûl, I think the adventure needs adjustment. I'm not sure at this point. Perhaps the help of Gandalf, or Saruman, but that would be a sort of deus ex machina if not carefully written. I'll have to think about it. Any idea on the whole matter?
Best to y'all.