Quorlox
Topic Author

Bind Demon limits

Fri 24 May 2024, 06:12

Are there limits to what a bound demon will do? For example, can you order the demon to commit suicide?

Fenhorn

Re: Bind Demon limits

Fri 24 May 2024, 08:05

That will be up to the GM to decide I think, but I would say no.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Melvin

Fri 24 May 2024, 08:15

When you need a quarter day to spellcast, I bet you did manage to restrain the demon. Asking him to suicide doesn't make any sens. But yeah, that s not the kind of thing that feel as FL. I would probably accept, and the demon starting to attack the spellcaster who managed to bind him because... It's suicide. And I won't tell why the demon attacked, was it because it "doesn't work" or because it "works" or something else.

Quorlox
Topic Author

Fri 24 May 2024, 09:45

When you need a quarter day to spellcast, I bet you did manage to restrain the demon. Asking him to suicide doesn't make any sens. But yeah, that s not the kind of thing that feel as FL. I would probably accept, and the demon starting to attack the spellcaster who managed to bind him because... It's suicide. And I won't tell why the demon attacked, was it because it "doesn't work" or because it "works" or something else.

Bind Demon isn't a ritual, so it doesn't require a quarter day to cast.

One might order suicide near the end of the spell's duration to avoid the demon seeking revenge. But mostly, I'm asking to see what limits there are to orders that can be given because there aren't any listed in the spell. If ordering suicide isn't an option, where do you draw the line? For example, ordering it to attack something significantly more powerful will most likely get it killed; would that be acceptable?

Melvin

Sat 25 May 2024, 02:25

Yes, you are right. I must have been mistaken. It makes me think about d&d spells alike where giving the direct suicide order is not permitted, but slow down the ancient red dragon is authorised.

Dizzyfugu

Sat 25 May 2024, 09:15

That will be up to the GM to decide I think, but I would say no.
Second that, and I'd make it highly dependent on the demon's intelligence of what it will succumb to. If it has any intelligence and/or personality I'd play it out that if is self-aware and will simply not follow apparently self-destructive orders, or try to twist around them to comply to the order's wording. It may attack the "ancient red dragon" if ordered to do so for just a single round, from a distance. Maybe it just utters a deep insult about its mother, or lingers in this world until the dragon dies naturally, while it has a LOT of time to harass its "master".
In FL everything comes at a price, and players should be aware of that and get to feel it. Power fantasies belong elsewhere.

Quorlox
Topic Author

Sat 25 May 2024, 14:18

So, it seems there's little in RAW to clarify the limits, so I'll have to figure out what to do. Thanks!