Topic Author

The Shire Stories - The Annual Free Fair Incident

Thu 16 May 2024, 02:56

The Shire Stories - The Annual Free Fair Incident
A Solo Roleplaying Play Report - the One Ring RPG
By Arthur Dallas
___

CHARACTERS

- Pott Whitfoot (male Hobbit) the Mayor of Michel Delving, Chief Postmaster and First Shirriff.
- Ned Whitfoot (male Hobbit) the Notary and main municipal councilor.
- Bandobras Underhill (male Hobbit) the Money protector and Big-Shot town influencer.
- Willem Bolger (male Hobbit) the new second shirriff.
- Sam Boffin (male Hobbit) the Forge master and elder hunter.
- Lotho Proudfoot (Male Hobbit) the second Postmaster and situation advisor.
___

THE FREE FAIR CELEBRATION CANCELLED

Summer is in full bloom in Michel Delving, and the annual 3-day Free Fair is just around the corner. The streets buzz with excitement as Hobbits prepare for the festivities. Stalls are being erected, bunting is being hung, and the scent of freshly baked goods wafts through the air. In the heart of the Shire, Michel Delving is a hub of activity and cheer.
This morning, as the sun peeks over the hills, a young farmer named Ned rushes into the village, his face pale and his breath ragged. He heads straight for the Shirriff's office, where Willem Bolger, the new second-in-command, is reviewing the final security plans for the fair.
"Mr. Bolger! Mr. Bolger!" Ned shouts, bursting through the door. Willem looks up, his brow furrowed. "What is it, Ned? You look like you've seen a ghost." "Worse," Ned gasps. "Three of my chickens and two sheep... massacred. It was a wolf! I saw it with my own eyes!" Willem stands, his face growing serious. "A wolf, you say? In the Shire? Show me."
The two Hobbits hurry to Ned's farm, where the evidence is clear: feathers and wool are strewn about, and the ground is marked with paw prints larger than any dog’s. Willem examines the scene, his expression darkening. "This is serious," Willem mutters. "We can’t risk the safety of our people, especially with the fair so close."
Without wasting time, Willem orders the square to be closed. Signs are posted around town: "Annual 3-day Free Fair Celebration Cancelled" and "Prohibited Area for Security Reasons." The cheerful preparations come to an abrupt halt as word spreads, causing confusion and frustration among the villagers.
Soon, a crowd of disgruntled Hobbits gathers at Mayor Pott Whitfoot's office. Mayor Pott, his notary cousin Ned Whitfoot, and Bandobras Underhill, the influential Vault-keeper, decide to confront Willem.
The three officials make their way to Willem's home, where he sits, head bowed over maps and plans. "Willem," Pott begins sternly, "are you going to cancel the annual 3-day Free Fair Celebration on your own authority?"
Willem looks up, surprised but resolute. "Do I need any more authority? There’s a wolf out there, Mayor." Ned Whitfoot steps forward, adjusting his spectacles. "Technically, you need the instruction of a civic ordinance or a special meeting of the town executives."
Pott adds, his tone softer but firm, "We're just anxious that you are rushing into something serious here. This is your first summer here, Willem. Michel Delving is a summer town. We need summer money. If Hobbits can't come to the Free Fair, they'll go elsewhere." "So we should set out a smorgasbord for the wolf?" Willem counters, frustration evident in his voice.
"You yell 'wolf'," Pott replies, "and we have a panic on our hands for the Free Fair celebration." Bandobras Underhill, who has been silently watching, finally speaks. "Willem, you can take all the necessary measures, but the celebrations will hold. The Shire cannot afford this cancellation." Willem sighs deeply, rubbing his temples. "Very well, the fair will proceed. But we need a plan to ensure everyone's safety."
The group huddles around the table, discussing strategies. Lotho Proudfoot, the second Postmaster, offers his assistance in organizing a network of lookouts. As the day turns to evening, the preparations for the fair resume with added precautions.

DO YOUR JOB

The sun is just beginning to rise over Michel Delving when Farmer Tolman arrives at Shirriff Willem Bolger's door, his face drawn with worry and frustration.
"Shirriff Willem," Tolman says, his voice trembling with urgency. "A wolf killed one of my pigs last night. My daughters saw it, playing outside. It came out of the woods with our pig's head in its mouth. Something has to be done. Do your job."
Willem nods, the weight of the situation pressing down on him. "I'll take care of it, Tolman. I'll call a council meeting right away." Later that morning, the town council gathers in the large hall of Michel Delving. Mayor Pott Whitfoot, Councilor Ned Whitfoot, Bandobras Underhill, and Lotho Proudfoot sit around the table, tension thick in the air.
"The situation is serious," Willem begins, addressing the council. "This is the second attack. Farmer Tolman lost a pig, and his daughters were nearly in danger. We need to take action."
Lotho Proudfoot, the second Postmaster, leans forward. "I agree with Willem. We should consider closing activities until we can ensure everyone's safety." Mayor Pott Whitfoot shakes his head. "We can't cancel the Free Fair. It's crucial for our economy. Hobbits from all over the Shire come here for this event." Ned, the notary and Pott's cousin, nods in agreement. "If we cancel, we'll lose more than just a festival. We'll lose the trust and goodwill of the entire Shire." Bandobras Underhill, the influential Vault-keeper, adds, "We can't let fear dictate our actions. The Free Fair must go on. We need to find a way to deal with this wolf without causing panic."
The room erupts into arguments, voices overlapping as everyone tries to make their point. Suddenly, a loud clap silences the room. Sam Boffin, the village's forge master and elder hunter, stands at the entrance, his presence commanding attention.
"You all know me," Sam begins, his voice calm but firm. "You know what I do for a living. I'll go out and get this wolf for you. There's an emergency, and you all want tourists to stay and your economy to flourish. I value my neck at 10,000 copper coins. You can cut the funds and eat weed all summer, or pay me and have the good life you want. The ball is in your camp."
With that, Sam turns and leaves the hall, his proposition hanging in the air. Mayor Pott, Ned, and Bandobras exchange glances, clearly uncomfortable with the idea of hiring Sam. "We can't just give in to his demands," Pott insists. "It's too much money." Ned nods. "We have to consider the long-term effects. Paying him might set a precedent we can't afford."
Bandobras leans back in his chair, considering. "Willem, take the necessary measures. Use Lotho's postmen to help you, but the Free Fair celebration remains active. We can't let this wolf ruin everything." Willem stands, his resolve firm. "I'll do what's needed to protect Michel Delving. We'll handle this wolf and keep the fair running smoothly."
With the council's decision made, Willem sets out to organize the Shirriffs and Bounders, along with Lotho's postmen, to patrol the woods and keep an eye out for the wolf. The preparations for the Free Fair continue, albeit under a shadow of caution.

THE LORD OF WOLF CITY

In the early morning light, the tension in Shirriff Willem Bolger's office is palpable. Mayor Pott Whitfoot, Bandobras Underhill, and Ned Whitfoot are deep in discussion about the escalating threat posed by the wolf. "We need more patrols," Pott insists. "We can't let fear disrupt the Free Fair." "Agreed," Bandobras says, his tone firm. "But we must also keep the celebration going. The economy depends on it."
Ned nods, about to add his thoughts, when the door bursts open. Farmer Gerontius stands in the doorway, his face ashen with fear and anger. "My daughter Rose is missing!" Gerontius cries, his voice cracking. "I saw a wolf this morning, and it probably took her. It's a shame you're doing nothing to protect us!" He glares at Willem, his eyes blazing, before storming out of the office. A heavy silence falls over the room. Pott clears his throat. "He's wrong, Willem. It's not your fault." Bandobras shifts uncomfortably. "My children go outside too, Willem. We need to keep the celebration going, but we also need to ensure their safety."
Willem slams his fist on the desk. "That's enough! You are the lord of wolf city, Bandobras. Everyone knows you only think in terms of making money. It's time to sign the contract to hire Sam Boffin to kill this wolf." He thrusts a sheet of parchment towards Pott. "Sign here, and I'll take care of the rest." Pott hesitates for a moment, then picks up the quill and signs the contract. Bandobras, uncharacteristically silent, nods his assent.
A little later, Willem and Lotho stand at Sam Boffin's door, ready to discuss the expedition to find Rose and kill the wolf. Sam greets them with a steely gaze. "I want a case of Old Toby," Sam demands. "Granted," Willem replies without hesitation. Sam crosses his arms. "And three barrels of the old wine from the Green Dragon Inn." Willem smiles. "I'll offer you four barrels." Sam's eyes gleam with approval. "Then let's get moving."
The three set out quickly towards the north, following the wolf's tracks. Sam leads the way, his hunting instincts honed over decades. "We'll follow the tracks of the kid and the wolf," he says, pointing towards the faint imprints in the soft earth. They trek through the moors all day, the landscape around them gradually transforming from the familiar fields of the Shire to the wilder, more rugged terrain of the White Downs. As they walk, Sam keeps his eyes on the ground, tracking the wolf's path with a grim determination.
The sun dips below the horizon, casting long shadows over the moor. Willem glances at Sam. "Do you think we're getting close?" Sam nods, his expression serious. "The tracks are fresher here. We must be close." Lotho scans the darkening landscape. "Let's hope we find Rose before we find the wolf." They press on, the weight of their mission driving them forward. The air grows colder, and the sounds of the night begin to rise around them. An owl hoots in the distance, and somewhere, a fox yips.
As they crest a small hill, Sam suddenly stops, holding up a hand for silence. He points to a grove of trees in the distance. "There. The tracks lead into those woods." Willem and Lotho exchange glances, their hearts pounding. They know that the next few hours will be crucial. With renewed determination, they follow Sam into the darkness, each step bringing them closer to the wolf—and, they hope, to Rose.

THE FALLEN HERO

Night falls as Willem, Lotho, and Sam push deeper into the woods, their torches casting flickering light across the darkened landscape. The air is thick with tension, every rustle and snap of twigs sending shivers down their spines. As they enter a clearing, they suddenly hear a faint voice calling out.
"Help me, help me! I hear you! I'm down here in the ravine!" The three hobbits rush to the edge of the ravine and peer down. There, in the dim light, they see Rose, looking scared but unharmed. "You're fine, Rose," Willem calls down, relief evident in his voice. "Yes, I got lost and fell here without injuries," Rose replies, her voice trembling slightly. Willen says, "Have you seen a wolf?" "No, I didn't see a wolf," she responds, shaking her head.
Sam nods decisively. "I have what it takes. A good, well-woven rope from Tighfield. We will be able to get down there in a few moments." As Sam prepares the rope, a low growl interrupts their work. A large wolf emerges from the shadows, its eyes glowing menacingly. Willem, Lotho, and Sam freeze as the beast advances. Sam quickly notches an arrow and shoots, but it hisses past the wolf, missing its mark.
The wolf lunges, and in the chaos, Sam trips over a root, falling to the bottom of the ravine. His head hits a rock with a sickening thud. Lotho, acting on instinct, hurls his torch at the wolf. The fire catches the beast, burning half its face. Howling in pain, the wolf retreats, running north without looking back.
Willem and Lotho waste no time. They scramble down the ravine to Rose. To their horror, they find Sam lying motionless, his lifeless eyes staring up at the night sky. "We'll give him a proper burial tomorrow," Willem says, his voice heavy with sorrow. "For now, we need to get Rose back to safety." Carefully, they wrap Sam's body and make a temporary burial site, marking it with stones. They then help Rose climb back up, making their way through the woods with heavy hearts.
As they approach Michel Delving, the first light of dawn breaks over the horizon. Gerontius stands at the village edge, eyes scanning the distance. When he sees Rose, he rushes forward, tears of relief streaming down his face as he embraces her. "Thank you, thank you," Gerontius sobs, clutching his daughter tightly.
Willem, Lotho, and Rose approach the town square, where Pott, Ned, and Bandobras wait. Their faces fall as they notice the absence of Sam. "Where's Sam?" Pott asks, his voice barely a whisper. Willem shakes his head. "He didn't make it. He saved us, but at the cost of his own life." The weight of their loss settles over the group. Bandobras, usually so stern and composed, wipes away a tear. "Sam Boffin was a good hobbit. He deserves our honor and respect."
As the town gathers to hear the news, Willem steps forward. "We owe Sam Boffin our lives. Let his sacrifice remind us of the courage and strength that reside within us all. We will hold a proper ceremony for him tomorrow. For now, let us ensure the safety of our home and honor his memory by protecting what he fought for."
The villagers nod in solemn agreement, united in their grief and determination. The Free Fair preparations continue, but with a renewed sense of purpose and reverence for the fallen hero.

END OF EPISODE (In Adventuring Phase)
This story is a bit of a tribute to the 1976 film JAWS.
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Thu 16 May 2024, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Otaku-sempai

Re: The Shire Stories - The Annual Free Fair Incident

Thu 16 May 2024, 15:42

Would there really be that much anxiety about the Free Fair which would still be a good couple of months away (mid-summer)? It seems a bit early for talk about cancellation. I do get that you are parodying Jaws, it just seems that the adventure should be set in early summer rather than the spring, at least if you want that sense of urgency.

By the way, if this wolf is anything like the great white in Jaws then a burnt face isn't going to keep it from returning!
#FideltyToTolkien

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 16 May 2024, 16:44

Preparations for the Free Fair (mid-summer) always take time and in the story we are more in summer than in spring. The story says "the annual 3-day Free Fair is just around the corner" ... that says it all ...

Personally I found the anxiety caused to be fair and very (hobbits qualifier) funny.

But you don't know the end of the story my dear Otaku-Sempai, the burnt wolf "Bruce" will come back for a 2nd part hahahahahah!

Hope you liked the story anyway. I think it was a very funny one.

Take care.

Arthur.

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 16 May 2024, 19:28

These comments draw energy, jesus-man ...

Otaku-sempai

Thu 16 May 2024, 19:48

Preparations for the Free Fair (mid-summer) always take time and in the story we are more in summer than in spring. The story says "the annual 3-day Free Fair is just around the corner" ... that says it all ...

Personally I found the anxiety caused to be fair and very (hobbits qualifier) funny.

But you don't know the end of the story my dear Otaku-Sempai, the burnt wolf "Bruce" will come back for a 2nd part hahahahahah!

Hope you liked the story anyway. I think it was a very funny one.

Take care.

Arthur.
Yeah, I suspected that there's more. I like the story, it's just a bit derivative (can't be helped).
#FideltyToTolkien

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 16 May 2024, 19:57

It's just a bit exaggerated as a story, I understand your idea. Don't worry. There should be more action in future stories. I have lots of interesting ideas in the bank....

Thank you for your comment my friend,
Arthur.