Vallo
Topic Author

Do you let players experience it or explain it?

Mon 13 May 2024, 19:56

I am struggling a bit with this. It is our first campaign so it is new for all, including myself. So far I tried to let them experience as much as I could beyond the basic rules. This makes it more adventurous but on the other hand deprives them of some tactical options they might otherwise have.

Do you explain all mechanics, enemy skills, statblocks etc. before the party encounters them or do you let them experience it and let them figure it out as they go?

For example:

Do you explain hideous toughness when fighting a troll or let them be surprised and startled when he regains endurance?

Do you say that an enemy has 60 endurance and now has only 3 remaining, or that he is as hardy as a family of dwarves and near his death now?

Curious about your insights and ideas.

Harlath

Re: Do you let players experience it or explain it?

Tue 14 May 2024, 22:16

Both in person and running my play by post I tend to be pretty transparent with mechanics: I find this helps players understand things and also aids in catching mistakes on my part.

Linklite

Thu 16 May 2024, 00:45

I describe it happening. Players are allowed to make a Lore check to figure out what's happening, if they want to.
So for Hideous Toughness, I'll describe them taking the Wound (so they know that it did in fact hit), then shaking it off, getting re-energised and howling. If they want to make a Lore check, they can. On a Success, they'll remember that sometimes Trolls (say) are able to shake off Wounds and keep coming. On a Greater Success, they'll know that if they keep plugging away, eventually it'll stick. On an Extraordinary Success, they'll know how much health they recover (half or full).

Vallo
Topic Author

Thu 16 May 2024, 11:17

I describe it happening. Players are allowed to make a Lore check to figure out what's happening, if they want to.
So for Hideous Toughness, I'll describe them taking the Wound (so they know that it did in fact hit), then shaking it off, getting re-energised and howling. If they want to make a Lore check, they can. On a Success, they'll remember that sometimes Trolls (say) are able to shake off Wounds and keep coming. On a Greater Success, they'll know that if they keep plugging away, eventually it'll stick. On an Extraordinary Success, they'll know how much health they recover (half or full).
I really like the idea of a Lore check. When in combat do you allow it as a main or secondary action?

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 16 May 2024, 17:34

You tell me what you think... I think that if you explain too much... you kill the momentum and the atmosphere. let me explain. You should not say that the enemy has 60 points of endurance but that the enemy is very big and tall and seems very strong, you see the nuance... if the Troll has 3 points of endurance left, you say ...he seems to be walking with his arms on the ground and he seems disoriented...that says it all.

The best thing to tell you is to play so that your players enjoy it. Always think about the story before everything else. That's my point of view.

P.S.1 The lore check is a very good idea. Go with Linklite idea and describe what is happening is the best thing to do and this will not kill the storytelling.

P.S.2 But ... All Loremasters have their style ... you just have to find yours ... Have fun ....

Arthur.

Linklite

Fri 17 May 2024, 20:53

For verisimilitude, I'd say a full action. However, that's a very steep price to pay for what is really an academic bit of information. Unless you're going to give additional, more concrete, benefits, I'd make it a secondary action. They're generally in a tough fight anyway, and losing an attack just to reassure themselves that they are in fact doing something? That's a bit much in my opinion.