Daydren
Topic Author

Re: Fighting a faction question.

Wed 17 Apr 2024, 21:01

All good ideas so far. I think i will use a combination of them. They will likely pick to herd some walkers to help them out. Maybe one of the smaller ones. Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Ste M-H

Thu 18 Apr 2024, 12:10

Are the rivals attacking them? Do the PCs have to defend their haven? (sorry, wasn't clear from the question)
What is the objective of the badguys? Just to drive them off, intimidate them, or to actually wipe them out?

I'd say you need to emphasise to the players exactly how screwed they are. Rules as written, in a straight fight, they have absolutely zero chance of beating 5 to 1 odds.

However, assuming they have time to prep, and use it, and are clever, you could give the opportunity to stack the deck in their favour by cleverly preparing traps, and fortifying their haven, and using the results of their prep skill tests to thin the enemy number come fight time.

Also, if you don't want it to result in a TPK, make sure they've got the chance to run away, either before or during the fight.
In this scenario the pc's have decided to strike first as the blackhearts have been searching for their haven and want to fight the blackhearts on their own terms.

Objective of the blackhearts is to take from anyone they come across so its super unlikely they would let it end peacefully.

Escape was discussed but there are two swarm size 6 walker hordes very close to their haven. (They have had some bad lucknon random generation rolls. ) They are worried they will die fighting a large swarm and want to go out fighting the blackhearts as they have a better chance. Then they will deal with the giant hordes.)
Ah, so if they're attacking the Blackhearts, then I would assume your players aren't gonna be dumb enough to just do a full frontal assault.

So I guess you just let them scout out and recon their base, and come up with a plan to Seal Team 6 them, picking off pockets of enemies, ambushing patrols out in the wilderness, etc...

And if they don't, and they screw it up? Well, more fool them, lol.

Daydren
Topic Author

Thu 18 Apr 2024, 15:26

We did the first phase of it last night.
They recuited an npc from a rumor that could whisper to walkers. It was a high price but the npc agreed to help them and herd walkers in the direction of the blackhearts.

There were a few failed rolls along the way but they got there. We ended the session just as they got to the enemy base.

Next session will be even more intense.

The swarm size lead to the blackhearts got up to size 4 by the time they got there.

Daydren
Topic Author

Thu 25 Apr 2024, 05:39

We finished the fight tonight. They did so well until the blackhearts defeated the walker swarm and turned their full focus on them. They all died... but that was always likely. At least they went out fighting and it was an emotional end.
We will decide if we start a new adventure or just new survivors in same area. Gonna continue playing as its amazing.

Fosco

Thu 25 Apr 2024, 20:49

Sounds fun! I have prepped a story set here in South Jersey for my regular D&D gang and a rogue group like the Blackhearts are set to make things uncomfortable for the PC's.

I'll make a post when it happens.

Nilo

Fri 26 Apr 2024, 13:16

We finished the fight tonight. They did so well until the blackhearts defeated the walker swarm and turned their full focus on them. They all died... but that was always likely. At least they went out fighting and it was an emotional end.
We will decide if we start a new adventure or just new survivors in same area. Gonna continue playing as its amazing.
This warms my heart :) :) Please tell us more about the campaign as you continue.

Daydren
Topic Author

Fri 26 Apr 2024, 14:21

I'll make a post when it happens.
Looking forward to it! Cant wait to see how the blackhearts are approached! Maybe they will have better luck recruiting allies.

Daydren
Topic Author

Fri 26 Apr 2024, 14:25

This warms my heart :) :) Please tell us more about the campaign as you continue.
Will do! Not sure what the plan is yet but will decide at another time.

I will likely do solo content for the time being.

Might use some stuff from the core rules. Havent decided yet.

Its unlikely this particular adventure will continue as it had its ending, but will be playing the game thiugh, just likely a new campaign and new character.