Lord Dynel
Topic Author

Elvish Spirit - overthinking it?

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 02:27

Hello all! I'm looking over the Elves of Lindon Virtue, "Elvish Spirit," and trying to understand it. I think I am overthinking it, though, so I wanted to get some input.

The Virtue says "If you meditate for at least 4 hours, you can reduce your exhaustion level by 1 and regain all lost hit points. You cannot use this virtue if you’ve had a long rest within the last 24 hours, or if you have 0 hit points. Once you use this virtue, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest."

So, it says that that you cannot use Elvish Spirit if you had a long rest within the last 24 hours. So if the PC had a long rest last night, he can use it tonight, correct? Then it resets on a long rest. So if the answer to the first question is "yes," then am I to assume that (at best) Elvish Spirit is usable once every other night/long rest?

My next question is more on the intent of the Virtue. It seems that this would come in handy mostly when a character is having problems securing a long rest (as per the changes to Resting on page 22), as a means to recover hit points in when absolutely necessary (ie. when a long rest cannot be done). Is this a correct assumption? That's my guess since one can normally take a long rest and regain all hit points and a level of exhaustion.

Would love to hear some opinions! Thanks!

Redcoat

Re: Elvish Spirit - overthinking it?

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 17:11

Except that a long rest generally cannot be completed outside a sanctuary. So it's use is limited when you are journeying.

Lord Dynel
Topic Author

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 17:16

Except that a long rest generally cannot be completed outside a sanctuary. So it's use is limited when you are journeying.
Yeah, that's my thinking - they have to be someplace safe so it will reset. But Elvish Spirit can be very useful to allow an elf character to regain all his hit points while out in the wild, someplace not safe. At least least once, until they can get a long rest to reset the Virtue. I agree that it is of limited use, but that regaining of hit points could be a life saver.

Lord Dynel
Topic Author

Wed 10 Apr 2024, 12:01

So I am revisiting this virtue. I made then deleted a post yesterday, as I forgot that I had started a topic already. I still have an issue with this virtue, because I don't know if (and/or how) I should change it considering how I house rule healing.

I use a variation of the "Slow Natural Healing" optional rule from the DMG (pg. 267) where characters can use Hit Dice on short rests and at the end of long rests (after regaining their Hit Dice, but see below) to regain hit points. My variation is that characters recover 1 HD automatically, then may make DC 13 Constitution checks to recover any additional spent Hit Dice. They can possibly recover all spent HD in this manner.
Considering this, the Cultural Virtue "Elvish Spirit" (pg. 86 of the LotRRP Core Compendium) might need some revision. I am thinking of changing the hit point recovery (only) effect of this virtue to reflect how I have healing work in my game.
Some options I'm considering are:
  • A) Instead of regaining all lost hit points, the character regains all spent Hit Dice,
  • B) Instead of regaining all lost hit points, the character regains half of spent their level in Hit Dice (as normal 5e rules) with no check needed, then may recover any remaining with checks (per my rules), or
  • C) Leave it as is, and allow the character to recover all lost hit points (and then recovers Hit Dice per my rules).
Any suggestions would be welcome!

JLandan

Tue 16 Apr 2024, 20:54

After much back and forth with my players and some experience play testing, I came to the conclusion that the whole "no long rest outside a sanctuary" was untenable. I decided that long rests do not occur during the Journey phase, but can occur during the Adventuring phase. The fellowship must look for a place to rest, usually an exploration check with a DC dependent on the terrain type. Otherwise, too many class features that recharge on a long rest become useless and healing hit points and reducing exhaustion levels become too difficult.

The no rest rules are too contrary to the core 5e basic rules. So, I returned to the 5e core rules for my table.

Lord Dynel
Topic Author

Thu 25 Apr 2024, 00:48

After much back and forth with my players and some experience play testing, I came to the conclusion that the whole "no long rest outside a sanctuary" was untenable. I decided that long rests do not occur during the Journey phase, but can occur during the Adventuring phase. The fellowship must look for a place to rest, usually an exploration check with a DC dependent on the terrain type. Otherwise, too many class features that recharge on a long rest become useless and healing hit points and reducing exhaustion levels become too difficult.

The no rest rules are too contrary to the core 5e basic rules. So, I returned to the 5e core rules for my table.
Interesting. My initial thoughts are that the LotRRP rules were adjusted enough to be okay deviating from the standard 5e resting rules. I can only think of one ability off the top of my head that only recharges on a long rest (Rhymes of Lore, scholar). Admittedly, I there might be more that I cannot remember. Do you have further insight?

I know healing can be an issue, as I don't care for the standard 5e healing rules. Which is why I'm changing them. Elvish Spirit, I feel, might be too powerful if I leave it unchanged in a game where I've changed healing to make it slower to regain hit points.