Konungr
Topic Author

Re: The Nature of Undeath

Sat 12 Sep 2020, 22:46

What page is that on?

Nvm, found it.

"Three fresh dwarven corpses have been invaded by demonic flesh and awakened as ghouls."

Unnatural undeath doesn't count within the context of this discussion. Those are not "Natural" undead the way humans are dealing with them "often".

Mr Oldtimer

Sun 13 Sep 2020, 00:12

SPOILER

Well, you have Garkhal the dwarf, on page 239 of the GM guide, which tells me that dwarfs may raise as well.

End SPOILER

So, in my campaign, the only kin to not have naturally occuring undeads walking around are the elves, because of their alien origin, the ogres, because they’re bad ass. And most orcs. The orcs are not without their fair share of undead, but being mostly from forest regions and fed up with caring for undead friends and family, they’ve developed a habit of burning their dead as a burial ceremony, thereby reducing undead drastically.
The kin that’s most likely to raise as undead are humans though.
Again, in my campaign.

Ebrim

Sun 13 Sep 2020, 00:18

Yeah, for my game any kin (except elves) could be restless dead (wandering corpses) but it’s way more common with humans. Any kin could be ghosts of a sort though probably with some cultural flavor.

Konungr
Topic Author

Sun 13 Sep 2020, 00:34

The pg. 239 thing is good data. That shows both a Halfling and Dwarf Ghost in a place where Ghosts would be naturally. So at the very least other races can have Ghosts.

Again, I am not entirely sure elves could, but maybe they can? Good to know. Maybe there isn't much to this and everyone just has undead all the time naturally. I just noticed that the human entries talked specifically about how they deal with their dead and how it's such a common occurrence while nobody else gets mention of their rituals for dealing with the dead.

marcel

Mon 22 Apr 2024, 09:59

Hey everyone,

let's dig out this topic again four years later.
I just started gamemastering Forbidden Lands and my first Free League game. So far I love the game and the setting.
In my first random encounter the players faced a group of undead followed by rustbrothers. While it was an entertaining encounter, I'm sure the players want to know more about the undead.
Therefore I'm trying to prepare the next session by answering the following question:
How do the undead leave their graves on the graveyard? Are they undigging themselves?
I'd say they do. Somehow they are able to free themselves. And at some point in the night, they go back to their graves, as if they are tired. At some point, if they are not enslaved, enchanted or turned mad (Ghul or Death Knight), they begin accepting their fate and stop wandering around.
So the living are trying to secure them from being abducted by the rustbrothers. And while they gave up closing the opened graves every day, they take a look that none of the dead leave the graveyard. And if one of them is especially pushy, they talk to them and try to calm them down.
So, in my interpretation the first phase of death is an elongated lifespan, in which the undead need to get settled with their state. If there's something unnatural, like a curse or they suffered an especially woeful fate, they might be hindered from settling down.
So, what do you think about my interpretation?
Do you have anything to add, so the situation becomes more interesting and sensible to the players?