_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Re: The Lost Worlds Campaign - Story 5 Play Report

Sat 20 Apr 2024, 04:37

Thanks Deus,

Yes the sub-link is a great idea. My mind is not set yet for all implication. As I said we'll see in Expedition 7 ...

p.s. The first solo roleplay play report in the One Ring RPG is out here : viewtopic.php?t=12731
It's called The Shire Stories - A Night At The Stone, it would be kind to write something there if you can Deus, I don't have a lot of fans I think in the One Ring RPG section, maybe it's the name that is all wrong Arthur Dallas hahahaha!

And I have another DeviantArt account for that here If you want to visit : https://www.deviantart.com/wizardrhosgobel/gallery

Arthur.

Angelman

Sat 20 Apr 2024, 09:32

maybe 2 synthetics with telepathic power in the finale expedition ...
it's something like a sub-level mind link with the synthetic ... a sub-level mind comm-link like a borg ... and it goes both ways so Fulfremmen can't stop it ...
Care to explain to an idiot ignoramus what a sub-level mind link is? AI bluetooth telepathy? Is there a difference between "sub-level" and... um..."baseline-level", or whatever?

What does this synth-to-synth mind-comm do? And how does it stop the Fulfremmen?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Sat 20 Apr 2024, 19:37

Hi Angelman,

I don't want to think about it too much and define it too much because when I'm gonna do Expedition 7 I will be stuck "with my definition". The thinking is not finish yet.

But ... see it as a special communication link between the synthetics and the Fulfremmen without any wiring ... and it goes both ways ... it's not telepathy it's something else. You are thinking about an oppose dice roll and you are right. It's most likely an Empathy roll with a manipulation skill or command skill.

I'm gonna explain it more later when my thinking will be done completely. Is that Okay for you my friend. I'm open to suggestion too.

Arthur.

Angelman

Sun 21 Apr 2024, 07:35

All good, mate! I was just curious since it appeared (to me) that y'all were talking about and understanding things that flew right over my head, hehe. (I vaguely know what a/the Borg is/are, but I'm not much of a Trekkie, for instance) :roll:

That said, I now see that the link, whatever it turns out to be exactly, is a link between the synths and the Perfected, and not only between the synths minds (which was how I initially understood it to be -- just a sort of system upgrade for Android [pun intended ;) ]). Now there's an interesting concept that could, most certainly, be a worry to the Fulfremmen! This opens a very interesting dramatic theme on Alien; artificial persons as not only tools and helpers to humanity but humanity's last best hope for survival! Lots of nice ethical dilemmas and philosophical questions coming out of this. And, it both parallels and juxtapose quite nicely the biomechanoid menace that is the Fulfremmen against the biomechanoid tool that are artificial persons in the Alien universe.

This is some seriously cool stuff, man 8-)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Angelman

Sun 21 Apr 2024, 08:06

You could make this mind-meld (see I know someone Star Trak ;) ) link thingy into a dice roll "battle of wills", but that reduces the high concept to a mere game mechanics, which is not all that interesting, I feel,(especially if the hero synthetics are NPCs).

I'd much rather let it be a narrative weapon in the story, like how Mina in the Dracula novel -- after surviving psychic and physical abuse by the vamp -- can now hear the Count's thoughts, feel his surroundings, and so on. This made the mind-link a narrative device that the protagonists could react too and exploit, rather than just a straight-forward endgame weapon mcguffin. In our game then, this gives the players an advantage to think about and roleplay with, instead of it being just a PC/NPC stat thing on the character sheet.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Sun 21 Apr 2024, 22:07

Exactly my friend. I just want to point out that one synthetic can handle one Fulfremmen with this "power" (As all the thinking is not done yet) but not 5 Fulfremmen all together ... so they will have to think twice before engaging in a fight with a group of Fulfremmen and most likely take them one by one in Expedition 7 ...

Miss Sophie character is becoming so interessting that she became a current PC now, not an NPC anymore.

Arthur.