d(sqrt(-1))
Topic Author

Limits on pushing rolls?

Thu 11 Apr 2024, 23:21

The section on pushing rolls (p32) doesn't put any limits on when rolls can be pushed - do you allow PCs to push rolls and gain a condition when it doesn't really have a downside, e.g. haggling in town? I've been saying that you can only push rolls when in a stressful situation, but not sure what the intention is.

Otherwise we are getting situations like "I go to the shops and take my friend with me for help (i.e. a boon), then we haggle, if I fail I push it to roll again, then I go home and rest to get rid of the condition."

psullie

Re: Limits on pushing rolls?

Fri 12 Apr 2024, 15:21

This is an issue with all the YZE games with a push/condition mechanic. For these type encounters I try to introduce alternative side effects - for example they get a reputation driving a hard bargain or being stingy. You could also rule that these are similar to passive rolls and cannot be pushed.

aramis

Mon 15 Apr 2024, 12:06

The section on pushing rolls (p32) doesn't put any limits on when rolls can be pushed - do you allow PCs to push rolls and gain a condition when it doesn't really have a downside, e.g. haggling in town? I've been saying that you can only push rolls when in a stressful situation, but not sure what the intention is.

Otherwise we are getting situations like "I go to the shops and take my friend with me for help (i.e. a boon), then we haggle, if I fail I push it to roll again, then I go home and rest to get rid of the condition."
I don't allow free pushing. It's always got a downside. I'm lax about relabeling the conditions narrative aspect... for example, instead of Angry, call it distracted or frustrated for the scene...

One player declared as he marked the condition on strength, "I may pull a muscle, but I'm gonna hit!" (then rolled one over skill with the resulting disafvantage from it.)

The other thing is that I expect marking the condition for the attribute of the skill pushed; the push is at reduced odds due to the condition most of the time. (And, of course, the standard for all taken means 1d6 WP instead, and if all WP used, 1d6 HP.)
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Dendron

Fri 19 Apr 2024, 13:19

I don't allow free pushing. It's always got a downside. I'm lax about relabeling the conditions narrative aspect... for example, instead of Angry, call it distracted or frustrated for the scene...

One player declared as he marked the condition on strength, "I may pull a muscle, but I'm gonna hit!" (then rolled one over skill with the resulting disafvantage from it.)

The other thing is that I expect marking the condition for the attribute of the skill pushed; the push is at reduced odds due to the condition most of the time. (And, of course, the standard for all taken means 1d6 WP instead, and if all WP used, 1d6 HP.)
I do allow pushing in almost all situation, it will have a side effect. I expect the RPs to role play the disadvantages taken. An Angry RP might not just go back home to take a short rest, "it is not my fault that merchant is an idiot, let's check out the weapon at the smith now......"storms in to the shop and demands to try out that big ax!").

As to when the disadvantage (bane) is applied. Not sure I understood you correctly, but the disadvanatge is not recived until after the pressed role. So unless you already have a bane you will reroll with your full skill and after that recived a disadvantage to an attribut.

I have ruled that you can only press a roll if you still can take a disadvantage, so when you have all six of them you can not press anymore. And yes this has come up, we had a very tough combat where more then half the group was maxed out......"broken unit".

Ebrim

Fri 19 Apr 2024, 22:44

Just because it hasn’t been said yet, it’s worth pointing out that pushing is an optional rule.

That said, in the context of a scenario or adventure there probably shouldn’t be many occasions where a push is free. Recovering the condition may take time and time likely has some value. Inns aren’t free, there may be time-related consequences written into the scenario, there may be random encounter risk, etc.