Felipe Guedes
Topic Author

Reasons to visit Rivendell

Thu 18 Apr 2024, 14:47

Dears,
I'm looking for ideas on how to include and use Rivendell in the game. What reasons would player-heroes have to visit Rivendell? I'm thinking about creating a long campaign where the Company would leave Bree heading for Rivendell and on the way they would get involved in landmarks 8, 11 and 12 of the Ruins of the Lost Realm. Taking advantage of this topic, if the Company follows this roadmap, the Fellowship Phases between these landmarks will not be in a safe haven like Bree, for example, right?

CaptHaddock

Re: Reasons to visit Rivendell

Thu 18 Apr 2024, 17:28

With Weathertop and the Angle as two of the Landmarks you want to use initially, it looks like your campaign will be quite heavily focused on the Rangers of the North. That should make it easy to create plenty of potential links to the High Elves of Rivendell.

Having said that, there may be some value in maintaining a certain air of mystery about Rivendell, at least early on in your campaign. In my campaign the players have passed close by two or three times, but not actually been there yet. They will be heading that way again soon and this is the first time they've actually discussed the possibility of visiting.

I know it's wrong, but in my head Rivendell is mixed up with Camelot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ghXxXyAuw

"On second thoughts let's not go to Rivendell, it is a silly place."
Blistering barnacles!

Felipe Guedes
Topic Author

Thu 18 Apr 2024, 17:35

With Weathertop and the Angle as two of the Landmarks you want to use initially, it looks like your campaign will be quite heavily focused on the Rangers of the North. That should make it easy to create plenty of potential links to the High Elves of Rivendell.

Having said that, there may be some value in maintaining a certain air of mystery about Rivendell, at least early on in your campaign. In my campaign the players have passed close by two or three times, but not actually been there yet. They will be heading that way again soon and this is the first time they've actually discussed the possibility of visiting.

I know it's wrong, but in my head Rivendell is mixed up with Camelot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ghXxXyAuw

Interesting! Thank you for contributing your opinion.

"On second thoughts let's not go to Rivendell, it is a silly place."

Otaku-sempai

Thu 18 Apr 2024, 22:12

Reasons to visit Rivendell:
- Safety
- Healing
- Resupply
- Research
- Consulting with a Patron (most likely Elrond)
- Advice (again, most likely Elrond)
- Hey! It's Rivendell!
#FideltyToTolkien

Felipe Guedes
Topic Author

Thu 18 Apr 2024, 22:42

Reasons to visit Rivendell:
- Safety
- Healing
- Resupply
- Research
- Consulting with a Patron (most likely Elrond)
- Advice (again, most likely Elrond)
- Hey! It's Rivendell!

Thanks!