Jeffrywith1e
Topic Author

Step Dice

Tue 09 Apr 2024, 01:23

The Year Zero Engine / Step Dice version is my favorite of the different iterations of the YZE.

The list of games and settings that use this dice method:
  • Twilight 2000
  • Blade Runner
  • The 23rd Letter
  • de occulta
  • ex sanguine
  • The Eerie Files
  • Rise of R'lyeh
  • Terminal State
  • Jedd's Wasteland Magazine - A Guide to Vehicle Customization in the New World
Am I missing anything?

LatchKeyKid

Re: Step Dice

Thu 11 Apr 2024, 15:44

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the step dice method as compared with the more traditional dice pool? No shame in liking either but I'm just wondering if you can elaborate on its benefits as I've never ran or even played in a Free League game with it. The closest thing that I've played with it would be a short experience with Savage Worlds which has something similar yet different.

Colgrevance

Sat 13 Apr 2024, 12:02

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the step dice method as compared with the more traditional dice pool?
- Step dice use fewer dice, so checks are easier to handle, faster to resolve and you are less liable to roll the wrong number of dice
- Some players find it frustrating that rolling subjectively large dice pools can still regularly lead to failed checks
- Step dice cannot generate as many successes, so designers (and thus, players) have an easier time finding meaningful uses for them

LatchKeyKid

Sat 13 Apr 2024, 21:56

Fair enough and thanks. I haven't experienced any of those potential negatives but obviously tastes change from person to person. I do hope to one day try step dice for a couple games to see if I like the overall feel in general or like it even more than dice pools (which would be an interesting development!).