Kalladeron
Topic Author

Skills without linked Attributes

Wed 03 Apr 2024, 21:24

Hi, Everyone!

I am new to Year Zero World, but I am fascinated with the flexibility of the Engine.

I am considering in to use it in one of my games and there is something that I would like to change but I am not completly sure about the consequences.

What are the implications/consequences of not to adopt a predefined attribute for each skill?

Sometimes I feel that some skills could be used with different attributes like someone using Strenght + Persuasion for intimidation and I think that the lack of a already set attribute for each skill can lead players to think in different approaches.

I think that the main consequence of this hack is that the tests probably will become a little slow, but with a few attributes, I don't think that this will become a huge problem.

Anyone already tried this?

LatchKeyKid

Re: Skills without linked Attributes

Thu 11 Apr 2024, 15:49

The biggest complication would obviously be that the game would become more freeform and that the GM would have to adjudicate each instance individually. I've seen it be a style in various narrative games (though I can't remember the exact names as it's not my preferred RPG style) I've come across in my research but never something more complicated. I've personally used it in rules medium to every rules heavy games myself as a GM with strength/body/whatever being used for intimidation as you already pointed out as well as different stats other than the usual dex/agility/quickness for initiative if the circumstances warranted it. Your face/social character was bluffing the enemies and lulling them into a false sense of security? Sure, use your charisma instead of the usual attribute for initiative rolls.

9littlebees

Re: Skills without linked Attributes

Sat 04 May 2024, 06:43

Lots of games do this, most notably many of the lightweight 2D20 games (Dune, Star Trek, Dishonored). Other games like Outgunned explicitly allow mixing and matching despite linking then together. The biggest issue I've found is that players will argue to always use their best attribute with any roll, so (as LatchKeyKid says) there is a need for the GM to adjucate far more than normal.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)