Doktor
Topic Author

Flame of Hope

Thu 21 Mar 2024, 13:35

Does the effect also target unconscious heroes? Does it 1) give him endurance points back and/or 2) bring him back into the fray conscious?

Michele

Re: Flame of Hope

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:35

Does the effect also target unconscious heroes? Does it 1) give him endurance points back and/or 2) bring him back into the fray conscious?

It can (both 1 and 2), unless the target is Dying, in which case it has no effect.
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Harlath

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:20

This seems like it will lead to some weird, non thematic d&d 5e style being knocked out, getting up again and then potentially knocked out again?

Linklite

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:50

I also feel that the "unless dying" needs to be errata'd, if that's the case. I can see the argument both for it bringing them back and for not affecting them, but the exception of "unless dying" is not implied in the text, to my reading.

Michele

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 17:24

Although not made explicit, the Dying condition strongly implies that the Player-hero must first receive successful first aid to be able to recover Endurance from any source, while there is no such limitation for unconscious characters. Also, the rules consistently link the unconscious status to having 0 Endurance, from which it can easily be inferred that, by RAI, regaining any Endurance brings back the character to consciousness.

However, this is definitely an edge case open to interpretation. I can easily see in the future an errata for the Flame of Hope Enchanted Reward to prevent unconscious heroes (not just Dying ones) from recovering Endurance. At least, that's what I'm going to suggest to Francesco ;)
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Darklander

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 19:20

Although not made explicit, the Dying condition strongly implies that the Player-hero must first receive successful first aid to be able to recover Endurance from any source, while there is no such limitation for unconscious characters. Also, the rules consistently link the unconscious status to having 0 Endurance, from which it can easily be inferred that, by RAI, regaining any Endurance brings back the character to consciousness.

However, this is definitely an edge case open to interpretation. I can easily see in the future an errata for the Flame of Hope Enchanted Reward to prevent unconscious heroes (not just Dying ones) from recovering Endurance. At least, that's what I'm going to suggest to Francesco ;)
Maybe another option would be to just change the narrative what condition a character falls into when getting to 0 Endurance. Instead of being unconsciousness it could mean being shocked/standing in awe/dazzled/confused/... so every (mental?) condition that generates the same effect in the end as being unconsciousness (--> no primary/secondary action as well as no talking). Because dissolving such effects could imho be a wonderful narrative which Flame of Hope would be able to do since famous weapons or items (Boromir's horn e. g.?) surely revive one's spirit, boosts the morale or squeezes out the last bit of energy inside oneself to fight for another round ... and maybe another round.