sbwallace
Topic Author

Monster Attacks and Obstruction

Fri 15 Mar 2024, 01:28

Obstructions provide a bane to ranged attacks for characters but what does/should cover do against a ranged monster attack? Negating it totally with cover seems too powerful but it's also not reasonable that cover would have no effect. I was considering something like having it provide a boon to the players dodge or perhaps add a base amount of armor? Wondering how others have handled it.

Fenhorn

Re: Monster Attacks and Obstruction

Fri 15 Mar 2024, 01:45

Giving a boon to the player is a good idea. I would probably try to move the monster so it can avoid the cover of possible or attack an other combatant of course or do the next attack instead if that doesn't work either.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Von Ether

Fri 15 Mar 2024, 16:44

Speaking of other attacks, this is where the fiction of the attack can help - such as when it's described the monster jump in mid-air to deliver an attack.

Also remember some monsters have implied alternate movements, such as the giant spider and climbing.

Wings are also a great option as well.

aramis

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 10:12

Giving a boon to the player is a good idea. I would probably try to move the monster so it can avoid the cover of possible or attack an other combatant of course or do the next attack instead if that doesn't work either.
My thoughts are similar.

If the character hasn't used their action, a boon seems right.

I've, a couple times, allowed a defense at bane to a character behind an obstacle who had already used their action, simply to account for the chances of miss.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...