Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Re: Familiar

Fri 26 Jan 2024, 16:51

Tbh i feel that version is WAY to powerful for a rank 1 spell. Its basically the Companion heroic ability with additional perks. Im not familiar with Symbaroum but i get the impression it has slightly stronger characters than Dragonbane.
Your probably right. And I actually, sorta thought yours was a little underpowered. I'm sure there is medium there somewhere, heheheh.

Let mesh 'em together and see what we come up with.

Any other thoughts peoples?

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Fri 26 Jan 2024, 17:49

OK Fey, you are 100% correct. My version was way OP. Especially after reviewing companion, yea, too much. I like yours, so I re-pasted it below, and a small addendum from mine (and even that was edited down). Check it out.

Also, why is the damage on the toad and the snake a D6 instead of a D3, and should we have an choice of snake, between a constrictor and a viper (poison)?

Create Familiar
✦ Rank: 1
✦ Prerequisite: Any School of Magic
✦ Requirement: Word, gesture, Ingredient (A small, non-sentient animal, such as a Cat, Crow, Rat, Snake, Toad or Owl).
✦ Casting Time: Stretch
✦ Range: Touch
✦ Duration: Permanent

You summon and bind a spirit from another plane within the body of a small animal, creating a loyal servant. This spell requires the caster to give up some of their power in order to seal the pact between themselves and the Spirit, reducing their maximum WP by 1. The spell must be cast at Power Level 3. The Familiar is an intelligent being, with a personality similar to its master. It can understand any language its master is capable of, but cannot speak. Instead, it can telepathically communicate with its master when they are within 10m of one and another and lock eyes.

You can give the Familiar orders, but it can only perform actions that the animal whose body it inhabits would be capable of. In combat, the Familiar shares initiative with its master, taking its turn directly after. Unless given an order (Free Action) the Familiar will act independently, focusing on staying away from battle and, if necessary, take the Dodge Action.

Additionally, the wizard can spend 2 WP to do either of the following as a free action:

> Experience whatever the familiar perceives with its senses at a distance of up to 1 mile. This effect last for 1 stretch.
> Gain a boon when rolling a skill check with a skill the animal also possesses (not attacks). The duration is instant.

If the Familiar dies, the caster must pass a WIL check or suffer a random condition. You may cast the spell again to bring it back to life. Casting the spell this way doesn’t reduce the character's WP. This must be done within a Shift, otherwise the binding ends and the spirit will return to the plane it hailed from, at which you must cast the spell again with a new animal to get another familiar. If the player dies, the spell ends immediately and the Spirit returns to its home plane, and the animal it inhabited returns to normal. You may only have 1 familiar at a time.

Examples of animals that serve as typical examples of Familiars.

Cat/Rat
HP: 4
Movement: 12
Attack: Bite 8, Damage D3
Skills: Awareness 12, Evade 14, Sneaking 15

Crow/Owl
Movement: 14 (Capable of flight)
Attack: Peck, 8, Damage D3
Skills: Awareness 12, Evade 14, Spot Hidden 12 (Owl), Sneaking 12 (Crow)

Toad
Hp: 4
Movement: 10 (Can leap this distance without needing to roll and can move this speed in both water and on land)
Attack: Bite 8, Damage D3
Skills:[/b] Acrobatics 14, Awareness 12, Evade 14.

Snake.
Movement: 10
Attack: Bite 10, Damage D3
Skills: Awareness 12, Evade 14, Sneaking 12

aramis

Thu 01 Feb 2024, 15:35

I like a lot of that (summoning a spirit to possess an existing creature is a nice, dark touch), but permanent WP sacrifice seems like a steep cost given that you could lose it forever if it gets into a fight..!
that's pretty standard for BRP/RQ derivatives. If not a bit low.

RQ3 (1984 - AH edition, Bk 2 pp. 44-45... subject must be an "incomplete" creature - one hAving a limited for of attribute or missing any value in a given attribute. And to make a familiar, you must make it a complete character...
Which requires at least one point from that attribute, perma-gone.
Only POW had a method of recovery... So, your cat with fixed int has all other 6 attributes normally, you have to increase Int to complete it, and you have to do any others as a mulitispell,,,
and you have to transfer att pointts from you to it... Str & Con give Caster Loss ×2, Size ×1, ×2, or ×3, App can't be raised, and Int, Dex, and Pow are ×1.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

finarvyn

Sun 11 Feb 2024, 16:37

Both of those versions of Familiar look pretty good to me. I'll have to get one of my wizard players to give this a try.
Marv / Finarvyn
Fell in love with Tales from The Loop, Vaesen, 5E LotRR ... Now hooked on Dragonbane, which still should be called Drakar och Demoner IMO. Played OD&D since 1975..

morchfeyn

Mon 12 Feb 2024, 20:59

About the WP cost. If the permanent seems too much how about the mage having to sacrifice some of his blood and essence on each sunrise for the familiar to remain. Like feeding his blood to it forexample. So 1 WP and 1 HP each day. During the first shift of the day or the familiar gets drowsy and after fainting wakes up normal.
If the familiar dies he gets them back naturally.

VorpalMace

Tue 13 Feb 2024, 14:45

Permanent Power (or as it is called here, Willpower) loss has a long tradition in RQ/BRP-based games as the cost for powerful spells. The problem is that in those games you can gain POW during your adventures, while in Dragonbane you cannot increase attributes normally - you can gain Willpower Points through a Heroic Ability, but not Willpower.

Short Fey

Tue 13 Feb 2024, 16:24

Permanent Power (or as it is called here, Willpower) loss has a long tradition in RQ/BRP-based games as the cost for powerful spells. The problem is that in those games you can gain POW during your adventures, while in Dragonbane you cannot increase attributes normally - you can gain Willpower Points through a Heroic Ability, but not Willpower.
Tbh this was one of the reasons my homebrew made you pay one WP, instead of one WILL. it gives you a chance to earn it back without affecting your character too much.
Beware the fey!

Chekmx

Mon 26 Feb 2024, 15:43

Here is something I wrote a while back

https://fl-knowledge.blogspot.com/2023/ ... iliar.html

aramis

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 09:38

It should be a relatively normal enchantment... Magic Seal, Permanence, and Transfer as prerequisites, General. I'd say the animal must be calm to begin with - via either RP or use of Animism.

It should allow sharing WP and sharing sight. Range equals WP of the caster...
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...