nonja121
Topic Author

Tone: Dragonbane vs older DoD editions

Wed 28 Feb 2024, 02:02

Hey all! Can anyone here share any information on the tone of older DoD editions/settings vs the "mirth and mayhem" tone of the current Dragonbane/DoD edition and The Misty Vale?

The reason I ask is because in his interview in Dragonzine, Tomas Härenstam mentioned that both Forbidden Lands and Symbaroum were takes on DoD from when the license was not available. Tonally, they are much darker (which is admittedly to my liking). Tonally, DB seems to definitely lean into the mirth part of "mirth and mayhem" but mechanically it feels more "mayhem." So I'm curious about how the older DoD editions' DNA influenced Dragonbane, Forbidden Lands, and Symbaroum.

Sadly, I don't know Swedish so the Swedish wiki isn't much help to me. Just curious as I found the interview to be really interesting.

Edit: I did attempt searches here but I didn't find anything on the English General channel.

Byrax

Re: Tone: Dragonbane vs older DoD editions

Wed 28 Feb 2024, 21:57

Not an authority here, but the first editions are somewhat similiar in tone to DB, and what FL is going for. Open worlds, not so defined setting, low fantasy level, a multiple of influences from fantasy novels/films around that time, basically anything goes, creating something ˋnewˋ out of it.
Last edited by Byrax on Fri 01 Mar 2024, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Fenhorn

Fri 01 Mar 2024, 10:41

I would say that DoD 23 (the current version) is a bit similar in tone to the 80s version, but that changed a bit with the 90s versions. I have no idea what DoD was like when Riotminds made it.

Things can have some humour in it and at the same time be very dark. Mutant: Genlab Alpha is a perfect example of that. Mutant has a very dark backstory and Genlab Alpha probably one of the darkest, but at the same time, a mutated bunny can be very funny in itself and having a teddy bear as an artifact is somehow fitting.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

aramis

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 09:24

I've been reading 1st ed Dragonbane (making use of scans and Google Translate)... it's not quite a direct translation of BRP1 & Magic World, but it's really close. The formulae are tweaked a bit. Oh, and first ed has no Ducks in the core. Not even the mundane form.

Unfortunately Worlds of Wonder isn't up on DriveThru. (Magic World was published as part of WoW).
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...