Waynes_Books
Topic Author

RHOVANION (MERP RPG books Mapped by Region, Part 2 – Middle Earth East of the Misty Mountains)

Thu 07 Mar 2024, 22:26

Brand new post! I show how GMs of The One Ring and Lord of the Rings Roleplaying can utilize the treasure trove of old school Middle Earth Roleplaying books to enhance their Rhovanion campaigns. All shown in maps of course. Rhovanion is dominated by the primeval forest Mirkwood; the whole area figures prominently in The Hobbit. enjoy! -Wayne

RHOVANION (MERP RPG books Mapped by Region, Part 2 – Middle Earth East of the Misty Mountains)

Otaku-sempai

Re: RHOVANION (MERP RPG books Mapped by Region, Part 2 – Middle Earth East of the Misty Mountains)

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 04:26

Interesting! I was developing a home-brewed guide to East Rhovanion (and Dorwinion) back before Cubicle 7 lost the licence for TOR. I was concentrating more, though, on the plains east of Mirkwood.
#FideltyToTolkien

Waynes_Books
Topic Author

Re: RHOVANION (MERP RPG books Mapped by Region, Part 2 – Middle Earth East of the Misty Mountains)

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 14:34

Interesting! I was developing a home-brewed guide to East Rhovanion (and Dorwinion) back before Cubicle 7 lost the licence for TOR. I was concentrating more, though, on the plains east of Mirkwood.

I will be profiling the lands east from Mirkwood in a future post. MERP did have 2 books in that direction, perhaps a bit farther than you speak of. I have them catalogued on my MERP advenutures page.

Perils of the Sea of Rhun

River Running (RR covers "Dorwinion, the Land of Maidens, flanks the eastern end of the River Running where it flows into the Sea of Rhûn.")

Marcello

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 15:30

And you may like The Inland Sea, an unpublished MERP module that was finished by its author, Chris Seeman, and made available as a free pdf.
https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Inland_Sea

Waynes_Books
Topic Author

Sat 09 Mar 2024, 03:48

And you may like The Inland Sea, an unpublished MERP module that was finished by its author, Chris Seeman, and made available as a free pdf.
https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Inland_Sea

Looks great.

However, it's as if the author wanted nobody to find it. Ye Gods, the hoops to jump through to get that file.

Make a groups.io account (required)
Join the middle earth fan group (required)
Dig around through the links, finally find the fan-made modules, see the Inland Sea, but file is not actually hosted there
Click a link, and find myself in the Box filesharing site
Oh my Box password is old, gotta make a new one (required; Box doesn't allow downloads without an account)
OK, finally ready to download
Box won't allow download the file for no apparent reason
Click again 10 minutes later and suddenly it works.

Marcello

Sat 09 Mar 2024, 15:51

Yeah, it's quite fastidious!

But now that you're a member of that group, you may discover all the other works done by these merp-loving people: many fan modules about other lands not covered by the original publications. Check Bellakar for instance, a numenorean colony south of Umbar.
Right now, one of them, Cirdann de Felrive, is making an amazing work of design and publishes these modules with the same layouts as the official ones. And as he's French, he publishes french versions too.

Other sources for good material is Other Hands and its continuation Other Minds. These zines range from MERP to TOR2.
https://www.otherminds.net/

Waynes_Books
Topic Author

Sat 09 Mar 2024, 23:22

But now that you're a member of that group, you may discover all the other works done by these merp-loving people: many fan modules about other lands not covered by the original publications.

I will. Great resources there. Thank you.

savannah

Mon 11 Mar 2024, 05:51

This map is a great resource for me. It shows the locations of a number of MERP supplements that can be used to flesh out the region.
Buckshot Roulette

Waynes_Books
Topic Author

Tue 12 Mar 2024, 01:01

This map is a great resource for me. It shows the locations of a number of MERP supplements that can be used to flesh out the region.

I was hoping folks would find the map useful. It's not always obvious the geographical location of the MERP books, even with the little inset maps on the back covers.

This is #2 in my series. Be sure to visit my previous post about Eriador MERP supplements.

If there are enough site visitors to those pages, I'll continue with the other regions, like Rohan, Gondor, Mordor, Harad, etc.