Tolwen
Topic Author

Re: Other Minds Magazine - new Issue published!

Fri 31 Dec 2021, 10:12

The file has been updated and bugs - as far as they were known by now - eliminated.
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for role-playing in Middle-earth.

Other Minds also on Facebook!

Tolwen
Topic Author

Wed 21 Dec 2022, 23:34

Dear All!
The long wait is over Issue#26 (77 pages) of our magazine has been published!
Beside the usual sections, this Issue brings you the following contributions:
  • Learning Spells in Roleplaying Games set in Middle-earth by Thomas Morwinsky. Discussion about the existence and possible use of learnable magic "spells" in Middle-earth.
  • The Rangers of the North by Gabriele Quaglia. A description of the history and organisation of this famous Dúnadan group.
  • Review - Ruins of the Lost Realm by Thomas Morwinsky. Review of TOR's 2e first sourcebook.
  • A New Stronghold by Andreas Erdmann. The third instalment of Andreas' 'Ravens in the North' campaign
  • Wild Men of the South by Adam Brown. TOR 2e Adventure in Eriador and beyond.
  • Where in Bree-land is Combe Valley? by Kris Goldsmith. Discussion of the finer details of Bree-land's geography with a focus on Combe.
Have fun with reading this Issue and please give us feedback - especially typos or other issues you spot. Speaking from experience, I am pretty sure we will need at least one update to weed them all out.
And please share this announcement freely to all those interested - as well as the Other Minds Facebook group. We welcome everyone - the bigger our community, the better!

You can download the Issue directly under this link.

For the OM team
Thomas
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for role-playing in Middle-earth.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 16:42

Huzzah! I haven't been working on any home-brewed content lately. I need to better familiarize myself with TOR 2E.
#FideltyToTolkien

Mewldoom

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 17:05

This is very nice collection of material you got there...... 8-)
Thanks a lot

howard035

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 23:27

Just downloaded the back issues, and I find his magazine to be tremendously valuable.

@Otaku-Sempai Thanks so much for your dwarf-hold, I was right in the middle of a writing a campaign where my players visit a dwarf-hold in the Southern Blue Mountains, but Harmelt doesn't have as much detail as I like, since it is not a full landmark. Looks like they are visiting Hargrod!

Otaku-sempai

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 23:38

Just downloaded the back issues, and I find his magazine to be tremendously valuable.

@Otaku-Sempai Thanks so much for your dwarf-hold, I was right in the middle of a writing a campaign where my players visit a dwarf-hold in the Southern Blue Mountains, but Harmelt doesn't have as much detail as I like, since it is not a full landmark. Looks like they are visiting Hargrod!
Glad to be of service! I'd be interested in learning what changes you make to fit Hargrod into your campaign.
#FideltyToTolkien

howard035

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 23:53

Glad to be of service! I'd be interested in learning what changes you make to fit Hargrod into your campaign.
I might steal the fantastic area descriptions of Hargrod and apply them to Harmelt, honestly. The players have figured out Johann Fleet is SELLING gold to a dwarf hold, which is weird, and are going to investigate why Mjolin has dwarven warriors quietly killing off rogue Fisher-folk who wander inland. (My idea is that Harmelt is where Maglor has been trading pearls recently for tools and goods. Mjolin has figured out that if he could somehow tap into Maglor's rune-knowledge, they could craft high-end powerful weapons and armor to replace the loss of all that gold income. Of course, first age elven runes are a totally different tradition, so it may well never work, but the Master of Harmelt has his brother stalling Maglor inside Harmelt for years trying to pump him for rune knowledge instead of Maglor wandering the sea coasts singing his songs. Which in turn means the Hungry One thinks the Ainur army has finally left Arda and as soon as he receives confirmation from his brother in Moria, it will be time to rise again. Mjolin is having his dwarven warriors intercept the possessed fisherfolk the Hungry One keeps sending inland to stall things while his brother hopefully gains rune knowledge).

As you can see, its a rather shabby and petty plot, and I figure it fits more with a desperately fading smallhold like Harmelt than a grand dwarf-hall like Hagrod.

Tolwen
Topic Author

Sat 09 Mar 2024, 15:59

Dear All!
Another long gap between Issues has passed and Issue #27 (94 pages) of our magazine has been published!
Beside the usual sections, this Issue brings you the following contributions:
  • The Chronicle of Curandir by Dale Davis. a short chronicle about an elf on a pilgrimage in Eriador.
  • The Rangers of the North - Part Two by Thomas Morwinsky and Gabriele Quaglia. A more detailed description of the history and organisation of this famous Dúnadan group that builds upon the first article in Issue #26.
  • Lord of the Rings Roleplaying 5E House Rule: Spellcastingh by Charlie Bell. House rules for the introduction of learnable spell magic in the 5e version of the TOR material.
  • The Gwaith-i-Luthryn by Thomas Morwinsky. A decsription of a "guild" of spell-magic user in the areas controlled and influenced by the Númenóreans.
  • On a Knife’s Edge by Andreas Erdmann. The fourth and finalinstalment of Andreas' 'Ravens in the North' campaign
  • Review - Tales from the Lone Lands by José Enrique Vacas de la Rosa. Review of TOR's 2e first adventure collection.
Have fun with reading this Issue and please give us feedback - especially typos or other issues you spot (a number of them have already been fixed). Speaking from experience, I am pretty sure we will need at least one more update to weed them all out.
And please share this announcement freely to all those interested - as well as the Other Minds Facebook group. We welcome everyone - the bigger our community, the better!

You can download the Issue directly under this link.

For the OM team
Thomas