Manzoi
Topic Author

Persuasion in Combat

Sat 09 Mar 2024, 11:25

Hello everybody,
I'm running a game of Vaesen as a GM, and in an introductory tavern brawl, my players are trying to persuade the enemies to surrender instead of fighting them. This has made me realize that the rules for persuasion in combat are not very well specified, and I wanted to raise my concerns in case anybody can give me any clues:
When during combat, players use the "manipulation" skill to persuade an enemy to surrender, does the enemy have the option to make a resistance roll? Would this consume their quick action, or would they resist directly without using it, as the manual does not specify?
On the other hand, would success in this skill lead directly to surrender, or would it simply cause a mental state and the fight will go on?

My impression is that getting out of a fight through persuasion seems much easier than actually continuing to fight at all times. I understand that the difficulty of convincing the enemy could be increased at key moments, but if anyone has an answer to the doubts I raise, it would greatly help me to organize this type of situation.

Thank you!

psullie

Re: Persuasion in Combat

Sat 09 Mar 2024, 12:29

I feel that Manipulation requires dialogue and is intended for one-to-one or small social encounters. Inspiration is intended for addressing groups and probably better suited to addressing multiple combatants.
So if you have a one on one dual like in Princess Bride then Manipulation would work but at a cost of your Slow Action. Convincing a room of drunken brawlers to stop is Inspiration. Either way failure could have a cost of a Mental Condition or two.