BrianG
Topic Author

Rules Clarification: Firearms in Close Combat

Sat 15 Jul 2023, 03:42

In ranged combat, Firearms skill is always a straight roll unopposed.

The rules say you can use your Firearms skill in Close Combat though. Does this mean that it can be opposed by a defender?

(ie. "gun-fu"?)

Fenhorn

Re: Rules Clarification: Firearms in Close Combat

Sat 15 Jul 2023, 06:40

Close combat is close combat, no matter what weapon or skill you use. The reasoning for this is that even if you have a pistol and the enemy is unarmed, you are at such a close range so the enemy could attack you with his fist before you could make the shot or this could end up with the classic struggle where he is trying to block your weapon arm away from you. Very cinematic.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

BrianG
Topic Author

Sat 15 Jul 2023, 09:52

Thanks!

Ariolan

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 12:25

p68 problem:
If you get attacked in close combat with a firearm while unarmed, you may chose as the defender a “special attack”. An opposed roll follows. If you win, you have your attackers gun. If you lose you get hit.
I think it’s too easy like that.

Thoughts ?

Fenhorn

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 12:43

The one that does the special attack still needs to win the opposed roll and if he does, he has the gun but that's it. If he tries to shot the former owner of the gun that person can do a special attack and take it back. Two people in close combat fighting over a gun, very cinematic I think.

But some things to think about here is that, it is a bit of a failure if you have a gun and you end up in close combat range with an enemy. You have an advantage, that is range, why not use it. Sure, sometimes it happens. Also, only the attacker can push his roll. Pushing a skill roll is one of the basic features of any YZE game and is very powerful. So it is still a very bad idea to rush into close combat against someone with a gun, guns are very dangerous in this game.

Ariolan

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 20:36

The one that does the special attack still needs to win the opposed roll and if he does, he has the gun but that's it. If he tries to shot the former owner of the gun that person can do a special attack and take it back. Two people in close combat fighting over a gun, very cinematic I think.

But some things to think about here is that, it is a bit of a failure if you have a gun and you end up in close combat range with an enemy. You have an advantage, that is range, why not use it. Sure, sometimes it happens. Also, only the attacker can push his roll. Pushing a skill roll is one of the basic features of any YZE game and is very powerful. So it is still a very bad idea to rush into close combat against someone with a gun, guns are very dangerous in this game.
Thoughtful answer, thank you. The problem is here, that if you have the gun,initiative and a distance of short, after you shoot me I will engage you and grab your gun. Next round, if I haven’t succeeded and you move away from nme, I get a free attack (which I will use to grab the gun, you move away and I then shoot you with your own gun since you are short away from me).

Fenhorn

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 20:47

Thoughtful answer, thank you. The problem is here, that if you have the gun,initiative and a distance of short, after you shoot me I will engage you and grab your gun. Next round, if I haven’t succeeded and you move away from nme, I get a free attack (which I will use to grab the gun, you move away and I then shoot you with your own gun since you are short away from me).
First, If I shoot you, you might be broken or even dead. This is a very lethal game after all. Secondly, if you managed to get the gun, why should I move away. If I stay engaged to you, the only way for you to shoot me is to do the close combat opposed rolls, in which I can try to take the gun back or of course you can disengage to avoid that but that can result in a free attack.