josh77
Topic Author

Fell Abilities Limitations

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 03:21

Can an adversary use every ability it has in a single round if it has the hate available to use it? Or can it only use a single Fell Ability in a round? In the core rulebook it says "Unless otherwise noted, an adversary may use a Fell Ability in addition to attacking, so long as they have the necessary points to spend."

Does that mean "a ability" as in just one?

Or does it really mean "any and all abilities" as long as it has hate available?

I have a feeling it is only one, but I would like an official answer if anyone knows for sure.

josh77
Topic Author

Re: Fell Abilities Limitations

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 03:46

Well, I found some answers to my question. I probably should have searched more carefully before posting. Here is what I found:
viewtopic.php?t=9243

But, if anyone has any other insight on the topic, I'd love to hear it. For the most part it seems to be use defensive abilities as needed, and other special abilities generally only once per round.

Linklite

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 09:13

You may use any Fell Ability as often as you like, so long as you meet any prerequisites. Hideous Toughness is triggered every single time the prerequisites are met - potentially even 6 or more times in a round.

The only restriction beyond that is that an adversary can only spend Hate equal to its Might each combat round (p143). This is a little vague, but a common sense interpretation is that "spend" means "spend" - losing Hate due to, say, Fear of Fire, does not count. It has to be an act of agency - a spend.

So, a Hound of Sauron could choose to do two Great Leaps in a round, since it is Might 2. A more ambiguous example but one that makes sense, is that a Barrow-Wight can be affected by its Hate Sunlight (loses 1 Hate per round while in sunlight) and still use its Dreadful Spells Fell Ability. On the other hand, it then wouldn't be able to use its Deathless ability (spend Hate to cancel a Wound or to go from zero endurance to full endurance).

Personally, I think that's a little hanky, but it's the most common sense interpretation of the rules as written at the moment.

Harlath

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 11:45

Here's the official source on the "Hate/resolve spending equal to Might per round": https://freeleaguepublishing.com/wp-con ... nd_FAQ.pdf

This is also in the third physical printing and the latest version of the Core Rules PDF.