_ArthurDallas_

Re: DMLA-A-265's Dropships

Mon 26 Feb 2024, 20:25

I understand what you are saying (Angelman) because the dropship team is at the service of the lieutenant colonel in charge of dropship squadron DMLA-265 but for my example it is (was) simpler to include 12 marines per section. A platoon has 2 sections and a commander and an android support so the grand total is 26 marines per platoon.

It's just a question of math. Each Game Mother can put whatever he wants in the composition of the platoons (my example is just an example you understand).

In the end it remains that the fleet of 9 ships (Conestonga + Bougainville) can make a maximum of 18 drops at a time and in our example we wanted to land a capacity of 37 drops on the surface of a planet and that will take 2 trips per dropship to do so.

The Last Question is ...
how many dropships we (currently or totally) have for the 9 ship fleet. It's up to each Game Mother to decide I believe.

P.S. so yes the text on page 112 for the dropship squadron is not (totally) accurate. 9 dropships is not enough in a single drop but 9 dropships with 4 trips per dropship will do.

Arthur.
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Tue 27 Feb 2024, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Angelman

Mon 26 Feb 2024, 21:20

Yeah, the only ways my complicating things are relevant here is when considering troop capacity for space ships and dropships. I assume, for instance, that the 40 people troop capacity of a Bogenville means just that, "troop" capacity, and does not count command crew and such, and neither does it count the assigned dropship crews, IMHO.*

Similarly, the pilot and technician is probably not included when calculating the capacity of a dropship (i.e., it can take one M577 with full section [8 troopers +section sergeant & AFV driver] + possibly HQ folks [platoon commander, lieutenant, and/or synthetic]).

*A counter argument here is that in Aliens, Bishop, Gorman, Spunkmeyer, Ferro, and Burk all slept with the troopers, so perhaps "troop capacity" does indeed count everyone; troops, officers, crew, and special advisors? (Related to this, there are 12 cryopods seen in the Cryogenic Compartment [really only 6, but doubled with mirrors on set], so it is technically impossible for all 15 of them to sleep there, but sleep there they did, heh heh).

Also also, I just no realized that the Solaco section is lacking a dedicated M577 driver! Oh well, what do I know...
Last edited by Angelman on Mon 26 Feb 2024, 21:40, edited 2 times in total.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 26 Feb 2024, 21:31

Angelman ahahah!
Just want to help Tarynt Essrog with a simple explanation.
I love you man don't worry.

Arthur.
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Thu 29 Feb 2024, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Lurker01

Wed 28 Feb 2024, 02:50

It has 14 dropships. 9 to ferry the troops to the surface, 1 to command and co-ordinate to drop, two gunships to fly support and the 2 Skycranes for heavy lifting (and while each could probably transport an additional APC full of troops in a rush I doubt that it's recommended).You are assuming that all troops are deployed in a single wave? The passage at the top of page 112 suggests that each UD-4L will need to make multiple trips to the surface to deploy the necessary numbers. They operate in a relay - deploy, drop off, return, pick up and repeat. Don't overthink the numbers.

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 29 Feb 2024, 17:39

precisely .... (well said Lurker01) ...