PERFECTO-IGNORI
Topic Author

No chapter on geography in the core books???

Sun 25 Feb 2024, 13:00

I am confused. Is the lay of the land not described anywhere in the core books? The map shows names of forests and mountains. But I cannot see any written description for them anywhere. Are we supposed to invent that as we see fit? No actual description of the Ravenlands? Exciting ok, but disappointing at the same time. A chapter on history, and no chapter on geography... Is there more to feed on about geography in the Raven's Purge campaign?
I sort of see where they were coming from not forcing a vision on the land... open explo ok, but man...
Am I missing something? The only difference between two forests are their names? I know I am here to use my imagination. But I would have expected a little nudge coming from an exploration based game... I can't stop but feeling a bit robbed somewhat... Someone please, share your point of view on that.

Fenhorn

Re: No chapter on geography in the core books???

Sun 25 Feb 2024, 13:11

The idea of the game is that you build the world as you play. For that you either can write it yourself or you can buy the Raven's Purge campaign. The Raven's Purge campaign contains eight adventure sites with background and also a ninth finale adventure site. You can place these sites wherever you like, even though there are some suggestions and obvious choices for it. Regarding the names on the map. They are mentioned vaguely here and there in this story, but there are no details for them. That will be up to you to come up with. One of the reasons for that is that the various adventure sites that you place (be it Raven's Purge or those that you write yourself) on the map, will create a game world, a game world that probably will be a bit different from mine, just because we have placed various sites in different places.

The other campaigns may differ a bit from this approach. Bitter Reach for example have some sites (along the coast if I remember correctly) that are already on the map and described in that book, but it will also have some adventure sites that you can place.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

PERFECTO-IGNORI
Topic Author

Re: No chapter on geography in the core books???

Sun 25 Feb 2024, 13:46

Yes, it makes sense, particularly when you mentioned that your Forbidden Land will have a different geography than mine.That's pretty... nice, actually. I'll get over it. Not that I was afraid to use my brain anyhow, I am actually quite excited by that now. Thanks. Have a good one. :)