harald74
Topic Author

Healing crits and disease without rest?

Thu 22 Feb 2024, 16:35

Healing damage points and stress points is dependent on a shift of rest or sleep. However, healing your crits or rolling the infection rolls are not dependent on the character getting any rest at all, according to pages 74 and 81. On page 73 the reference to getting sleep or rest to heal seems to only refer to damage points and stress. Is this intentional?

Having two current PCs from my party, one with a busted ankle from a crit and another that just broke out in fever, rash and headache from typhus, work 12 hours shifts in the salt mines with absolutely no ill effects feels a bit off. I don't quite see that it improves the game any either. If you have wounded or sick party members, finding somewhere to rest, juggling available food vs rest time, connecting with the locals, maybe trying to deal with a faction that has access to antibiotics, all this seems very on brand for the game.

ckosacranoid

Re: Healing crits and disease without rest?

Fri 23 Feb 2024, 05:57

Being hurt and not resting them are not going to be able to heal at all and I think the thyroid will get worst as them go along.

harald74
Topic Author

Fri 23 Feb 2024, 09:32

Well yes, that's sort of my common sense take on it as well, but it's not really how the rules are formulated.

Waynes_Books

Fri 23 Feb 2024, 18:54

Well yes, that's sort of my common sense take on it as well, but it's not really how the rules are formulated.

You found an oversight in the rules. This will likely get an errata update at some point.

The GM is the ultimate arbiter of the game. We're a bit spoiled having such a tight and elegant rules set. But there will always be a need for GM rulings, and this is one of those cases. Working while critically injured or very ill will only make things worse.

Fenhorn

Fri 23 Feb 2024, 20:50

Damage is healed when rest/sleep just because:
Normal damage points represent fatigue, bruises, and flesh wounds
Stress is healed when rest/sleep just because you can calm down and relax.

Critical injuries represent dangerous and often lethal injuries. These take several days to heal. A critical injured character do heal faster if someone is caring for him for a shift a day, something that require that you do nothing else (i.e resting). There are other penalties for not sleeping so that is not wise. You could see it this way. A broken leg will heal, regardless if you sleep or not, but if you don't rest or sleep, you will remain fatigued and stressed.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore