PunTheHun
Topic Author

Unarmed combat … in practice

Thu 01 Feb 2024, 10:41

The rules are quite clear, but occasionally we find them to be a bit clumsy to implement. I am interested to know how you handle situations like this one:
One group member (human woman from Bree of the "healer" type) went mad and attacked the group, foremost a Barding and a dwarf, both accomplished fighters. Trying to secure her without damaging her more than strictly necessary would normally have taken tediously playing out the statistics, i.e. a series of die rolls with 1 damage per round (brawling) and relying on tengwar rolls to hurry the procedure towards its inevitable end. In fact, because she is quite good with the bow, her brawling abilities were on par with those of each of the two "tanks".

We find that such procedures hamper the gaming sessions unnecessarily, so we took a shortcut by guessing a probability that she could overcome them (nil, but 1/12 to escape any allegation of master despotism) or flee (well, she did not even try … so nil again) and then allocated 1d6 damage to each "tank" and 2d6 to her.
--
Lutz

Sebastian

Re: Unarmed combat … in practice

Thu 01 Feb 2024, 11:13

To be honest, I don’t think the normal combat mechanics are designed for Player vs. Player fights. Even during a Bout of Madness it would be too extreme for me, but if Heroes try to actually kill each other. So the brawling rules indeed be to clumsy in my opinion.

I‘d just handle it narratively. If you want to roll dice, why not make it one roll for each member and compare successes?

PunTheHun
Topic Author

Re: Unarmed combat … in practice

Thu 01 Feb 2024, 11:24

I‘d just handle it narratively. … why not make it one roll for each member and compare successes?
That is more or less what we did, I think. I see we are on the same track here. Thanks for the fast reply!
--
Lutz