decanox
Topic Author

Questions about Eye Awareness and Crafts

Wed 24 Jan 2024, 11:33

Hi to all...

As always, I have two different questions about two too different topics. Here they are:

- The first is about Eye Awareness.

We don't know if the eye awareness rating resets after a Company Phase. The rules about that seem a bit contradictory (page 172): "When an Adventuring Phase ends, the tally for Eye Awareness is suspended (...) The Eye Awareness score of the Company is set again at its starting score (...)"

So we don't know if it's suspended or reset. For example, if my party has 15 eye rating before the Company phase, does it mean that in the next Adventuring phase we start at 15 (suspended) or at a much lower value since it's the initial score (reset)?

- The second question is about Crafts.

The travels are proven too harsh for the party. My Scholar has learned the Song-Craft (page 65) which allow adding a 1D4 lore die to fatigue saving throws. She even use Rhymes of Lore (page 55, which in essence it's similar to a Song-Craft) to avoid exhaustion.

But is it possible?

After reading the rules, it seems referred to fast combat situations or similar not fatigue saving throws referring long travels but I don't know since nothing is told on the contrary.

JLandan

Re: Questions about Eye Awareness and Crafts

Thu 25 Jan 2024, 00:28

Eye Awareness: it resets during the Fellowship phase.

Crafts: Both can be used for Journey saves. But, the craft slots and lore dice used are not recovered until completion of a long rest, which also removes a level of exhaustion, so may not even be necessary.

Are your players not resting after the Journey, before continuing with the Adventuring phase? My players, as a habit, start the Adventuring phase with at least one night's rest. When not in a safe haven, I allow them to explore for a suitable spot in the wild (page 22).

decanox
Topic Author

Thu 25 Jan 2024, 10:37

Crafts: Both can be used for Journey saves. But, the craft slots and lore dice used are not recovered until completion of a long rest, which also removes a level of exhaustion, so may not even be necessary.

Are your players not resting after the Journey, before continuing with the Adventuring phase? My players, as a habit, start the Adventuring phase with at least one night's rest. When not in a safe haven, I allow them to explore for a suitable spot in the wild (page 22).
Thanks for your answer.

It has some sense to use craft slots since we don't know how we are going to be received, keeping in mind that the first level of exhaustion is disadvantage on all skill checks (which include social skills)... So the "fresher" are our characters when arrive to a new town the better to interact with any unpleasant chieftain.

No, our LM doesn't allow us to do a long rest in the open, only in safe havens like Bree, Hobbiton or similar villages.

JLandan

Thu 25 Jan 2024, 22:46

The rules do allow for proper long rests in the wild, so that's on your LM. No rests at all is too grinder for my table.

Illiani

Tue 30 Jan 2024, 16:42

The rules do allow for proper long rests in the wild, so that's on your LM. No rests at all is too grinder for my table.
Where do the rules allow for this? I was also under the impression that long rests were only allowed in Sanctuaries.

Otaku-sempai

Tue 30 Jan 2024, 21:25

Where do the rules allow for this? I was also under the impression that long rests were only allowed in Sanctuaries.
Without looking it up, it is one of those rules that are subject to LM approval and requires the company to find a relatively safe and sheltered location for the night that is not a designated sanctuary.
#FideltyToTolkien

Illiani

Tue 30 Jan 2024, 22:27

Without looking it up, it is one of those rules that are subject to LM approval and requires the company to find a relatively safe and sheltered location for the night that is not a designated sanctuary.

Found it: page 22 of the main rulebook
At the Loremaster’s discretion, a deserted but well-sheltered place in the wilds could also be suitable for a long rest.

JLandan

Tue 30 Jan 2024, 22:40

Precisely. When I LM, during the adventure phase, I will have the fellowship make an exploration check if it is a hex they have never been to. DC based on the border/wild/dark types, usually DC 10/15/20. If they've been there before, I let them find the good spot again with no check. If the circumstances of the adventure we're playing indicate something different then that takes precedent. If the fellowship blows the roll, they're stuck with short rest benefits only, just like the Journey phase.

Your LM rulings may vary.

bbarlow.glamdring

Wed 31 Jan 2024, 00:20

Pg. 22, Resting, 1st bullet indicates that you cannot take a long rest ‘on the road’ but that you can, at the LM’s discretion, take a long rest at a deserted but well sheltered location in the wilds.

While there is no clear definition of ‘on the road’ as a game mechanic, Page 106, Describing Journey Events, 2nd paragraph implies that while you are Journeying, you are considered on the road… but that is merely one interpretation.

Based on this, it is unclear to me if the rules as written intend for characters to be able to long rest while on a Journey. Perhaps someone from the design team has some input?

decanox
Topic Author

Wed 31 Jan 2024, 10:24

I think is clear.

According to the rules, a company cannot take long rests on the road, that is, outside safe havens like Bree, Rivendel, etc. BUT LMs can do some exceptions (there are no rules for this, it's at LM discretion).

In my case, for example, our LM doesn't allow us to take long rests on the road.

And I think, in general, it's ok. In some situations, taking long rests in another places may prove things too easy. In fact, rules for travel try to restraint overpowered heroes like in D&D and that's fine. But I have to admit that seeking balance is complicated, and sometimes, these rules are too harsh for PCs... usually when they have to set several travels in the same Adventuring Phase (they can, in fact, die travelling if company set two travels without safe havens in the middle).

Anyway, as I've said, I think it's really difficult to look for balance since I have the impression that or it's too harsh or it's (too) easy for PCs.