Osric_of_O
Topic Author

'The Society' in Mythic Britain -- the Appolonian Society

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 02:44

In the Vaesen Core Book, the current status of the Society of Artemis in Upsala, in the aftermath of the Oulu Massacre, is made plain: the PCs are on their own, apart from whatever steers they can get out of the crazy Linnea Elfeklint or maybe the butler Algot Frisk.

In Mythic Britain and Ireland, the status of the Appolonian Society seems quite different. We are told (under 'Policies and Operations', p.44) that prospective members are discreetly studied, vetted and interviewed before being invite to join -- which suggests that Britain-and-Ireland's existing Society in has substantial existing membership and resources, but none of this is ever mentioned again, in the context of Rose House or anywhere else.

As I start a campaign -- with the intention of sending the PCs as a group off to investigate the 'Old Meg' scenario -- are my PCs supposed to fit into an existing Society power structure, answerable to one or more existing senior member(s) of the Society, or is all of that to be forgotten, leaving them on their own in the same fashion as PCs in Upsala?

Valyar

Re: 'The Society' in Mythic Britain -- the Appolonian Society

Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:47

If the society members are from Britain, I suggest to prepare some NPC that will represent Society members of various roles that will give them tasks and make the transition and introduction of mysteries & lore easier. If they come from Scandinavia, some contact from the Apollonian society is also good idea, otherwise they operate incognito (which could be interesting twist, if they meet fellow investigators who also came to check what is going on).

In my campaign, the Scandinavian group met the two Campbell brothers (Winter's Tale mystery from Seasons of Mystery book) which later invited them to Britain when we moved to the last three mysteries from the Mythic Britain rulebook.