BeardedGnome66
Topic Author

Roll20 Plans/Support

Tue 04 Jul 2023, 19:41

All I want to do is give Free League my money...that being said I've had mixed returns on my investments in the modules provided in Roll20. I understand there are some serious logistics involved and I understand the time delays for getting all of the modules together. It seems that with every release the quality has improved. Heart of Darkness is the first module to fully realize the compendium and maps with dynamic lighting providing GMs and players much of what is needed for PCs, NPCs, vehicles, and the bestiary. The ability to drag and drop gear from the compendium to a character sheet is a godsend...PCs will die and inevitably someone will scramble to pick up that fallen incinerator unit. Drag and drop talents are huge too as far as easing the amount of prep and labor during and between sessions.

The very first release of the combination of the Starter Set and Destroyer of Worlds was full of issues and did not use the integrated compendium in Roll20 to make navigating the material digitally easier for both GMs and their hapless players. Then the compendium was released for the main book and rule system at just about the same time as Heart of Darkness was released. We're still missing the CMOM in its entirety (fully mapped-out missions with dynamic lighting, bestiary, and compendium integration), and as far as I am aware there is no Destroyer of Worlds or Chariot of the Gods-specific sections within the compendium to bring these cinematics to the same level of quality as Heart of Darkness. The same can be said of Hope's Last Day.

This seems to be somewhat piecemeal and more of an afterthought than a genuine interest in supporting the Roll20 fanbase for Free League games. I hold out hope that additions and improvements will continue but it sure would be nice to get some information on when these can be anticipated or at least know that these are or are not being pursued.

Already pre-ordered Building Better Worlds...hope that a similar entry in the compendium, as well as fully fleshed-out sections for running the scenarios, will be forthcoming. Hell, I'd even throw cash at getting the mini-adventures from the Titan books series if those were available in a module with characters, bestiary, compendium, and maps (utilizing the dynamic lighting).

Does anyone have any insights into what the plan is for releases on Roll20? Is there even a mechanism for providing feedback? The quality just keeps getting better and much like the pathogen continues to evolve.

BeardedGnome66
Topic Author

Re: Roll20 Plans/Support

Wed 05 Jul 2023, 05:06

I see some folks are starting to read this post and so I'm hoping there will be some more discussion. I imagine my own frustrations are shared by some but don't get me wrong the intent of the post is not simply to complain. I would hope to draw some attention to the topic and maybe even get some insights from Free League or others across this community.

Hands down Alien RPG is clearly a labor of love by some very big fans of the franchise who have gone to a great deal of trouble to try and not exclude any of the disparate entries in the franchise across the movies, games, comics, books, and even some of the fan-made audio and video dramas.

The system is light and quick to pick up and I cannot wait to finish my group's first run at Chariot of the Gods.

I've been building my own campaign for some time now and it has been truly an undertaking so trust me the compendium gripes and unquenchable want for more resources in Roll20 are not selfless.

Fragpuss

Fri 04 Aug 2023, 10:25

I messaged FL through the website about this:

"I'm thrilled to see more support for Alien in Roll20, particularly the Compendium. Do you have plans to add content from the Colonial Marines and Building Better Worlds sourcebooks to the compendium and, if so, is there a timescale for this to be done?"

This was the response:

"We aim to have as many of our games and supplements as possible on Foundry and other platforms, so hopefully it will be made available in the near future."

Not a 'no', but hardly a resounding 'yes' either...

BeardedGnome66
Topic Author

Tue 02 Jan 2024, 06:36

I messaged FL through the website about this:

"I'm thrilled to see more support for Alien in Roll20, particularly the Compendium. Do you have plans to add content from the Colonial Marines and Building Better Worlds sourcebooks to the compendium and, if so, is there a timescale for this to be done?"

This was the response:

"We aim to have as many of our games and supplements as possible on Foundry and other platforms, so hopefully it will be made available in the near future."

Not a 'no', but hardly a resounding 'yes' either...
You know I posted this a while ago and nearly forgot about it. I very much appreciate you taking the time to post this through the website. I hold out hope that they will continue with releases to Roll20. I will say that the latest module and subsequent updates have fixed quite a few of the earliest gripes with their implementation on the platform.

My crew had a blast running Chariot of the Gods, and I look forward to running Destroyer of Worlds next! If they can keep up this momentum in supporting Roll20, it can only be good for the game at large.