The_Comedian
Topic Author

...other hazards

Tue 19 Dec 2023, 11:07

Greetings!

The rulebook gives some examples of "other hazards", however I couldn't find a separate rule for some special situations that might arise during the game.

Suffocation, lack of air: A situation can easily arise where the characters have to hold their breath (e.g. dense smoke, underwater maneuvers). Is there a rule for this? I looked at the Alien RPG, but the mechanics are different there (the whole test fails because of a 1 rolled on the stress die). There should definitely be some kind of Endure test, maybe somehow solved in such a way that everyone can hold their breath for 1 minute, and the duration can be increased to a maximum of 2 or 2 and a half minutes by the number of successes achieved in the test.

Extremely hot or cold weather: Perhaps the rules described for hunger and excessive physical exertion could be applied here.

Radiation: I have no idea about this, although it can happen relatively rarely in the game (strange factions in a nuclear power plant, crossing a destroyed power plant). I don't want to make a post-nuclear game out of Walking Dead, but this situation can also happen with a Survival game.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my bad English :)

Have a nice day!

MutantFromMars

Re: ...other hazards

Tue 19 Dec 2023, 16:43

Its a pretty light set of rules - the Endure Skill covers hunger, cold, poison and disease, so its not much of a stretch to chuck heat and radiation in there.

I'd probably just apply these as needing a successful Skill check at set intervals, with the Difficulty increasing. So, taking suffocation - average person can hold their breath for 4 minutes (but its not recommended) and I think the record is around 20 minutes or so. I'd prob go with: on minute 4, roll Endure at Difficult. You need one success to get another minute, but each additional success adds an additional minute. When you check again, its at Highly Unlikely, you need 2 successes to get another minute, and each extra success adds a minute again. Almost Impossible would be the last check. After you've run out of minutes at that point, you're done for.

You can treat radiation as a Disease, with the Virulence indicating the level of exposure.

Extremes of temperature, I'd just handle with an Endure roll as per Hungry and Tired. The regularity of that roll would depend on the levels of exposure again. Walking all day through the rain in the ruins of London is a roll at the end of the day. Walking across the Sahara, I'd probably test hourly.

Pangea

Re: ...other hazards

Wed 20 Dec 2023, 12:06

I would just adapt the existing Hazard rules to your situation. Like by changing the time component as was just suggested.
I had the PCs in our campaign be attacked by nerve gas and I think I simply used the poison rules but with a roll each round (they sure moved away fast!).
Playing in France, and online