kaziglubey
Topic Author

Incorrect location coordinates in BBW for the Far Spinward Colonies?

Wed 13 Dec 2023, 19:34

I don't recall seeing any discussion of this but my apologies if I missed a relevant thread.

Are the location coordinates for the Far Spinward Colonies in Chapter 7: Systems and Colonies backwards/reversed (i.e., the Coreward coordinate is actually the Spinward coordinate and vice versa) (see pages 110-117), both in the print and PDF versions? It seems to me they are.

Also, on a related topic, in The Frontier section of the same chapter (p. 107) the location map for the GL537 system labels the system POL-6362 in error.

Anyone care to confirm that I'm correct or set me straight if I am indeed mistaken?

ExileInParadise

Re: Incorrect location coordinates in BBW for the Far Spinward Colonies?

Thu 14 Dec 2023, 23:57

Yes the coordinate *labels* are in the correct order (X-axis first, Y-axis second)
But the coordinate *numbers* are flipped ... the X coordinate is where the Y should be, and vice versa.

For Example:
KOI-610 should be 11.4 Coreward, 33.3 Spinward
X-axis, East-West on map and then Y-axis, North-South on map

I have been looking at the map for coords directly because I am also looking for relationships to other colonies.

Great spot on this one!

I'll have to work through my copy, verify each from table data to map, then put PDF annotations and sticky notes to remind me later.

I recommend checking each individually rather than assuming the numbers are just flipped for them all.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

ExileInParadise

Fri 15 Dec 2023, 00:01

Yes, confirmed that GL537 labeling in the PDF at least is incorrect.

GL537 is at the top of the map box above Iota Piscium.

POL-6362 is repeated twice ... one small label near the bottom and then the main label displacing GL537.

More sticky notes and annotations.

My guess is you're working through to update your master list of locations and positions and finding these.

I haven't had time to do that myself yet ... great catches and thanks for posting these!
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

kaziglubey
Topic Author

Fri 15 Dec 2023, 00:50

Actually, I've just been slowly--really slowly--reading through the PDF for the last few weeks. I'm just sorry now that I didn't give the whole of BBW a more thorough look-through during the error reporting period before it went to print. Perhaps I could've caught the mix-up early enough to have had it corrected in the hard copy edition.

And I can confirm that the numbers are off for all of the Far Spinward Colonies, as I went through all the system/colony entries in the book one-by-one checking them against the maps of the Middle Heavens and Far Spinward, like you, looking for relationships to other colonies.