elnigno
Topic Author

Travel in Chapter 1 of Tales from the Lone Lands (spoilers)

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 12:00

Hello everyone,
I have been playing TOR 2e as a player with a group of friends for the last few months, and now I'm taking the helm as Loremaster (my first time ever). We've decided to follow Tales from the Lone Lands, and during the last session the character met Jari and Diarmoc. Next time, the company will presumably travel to the hidden valley.

I am unsure how the journey to the valley would play out in game terms. I could lay it out as a sequence of scenes, with dialogues with Jari and Diarmoc, but I feel that a regular Journey would be more fun. However, given the circumstances, it would make sense for Jari to play the role of Guide. If that makes sense, how would it work in practice? Should the Loremaster roll for it as an NPC?

I'd also be interested to know how other Loremasters have played this part, and if they have any further suggestions for this chapter. :)
Thanks!

Redcoat

Re: Travel in Chapter 1 of Tales from the Lone Lands (spoilers)

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 14:22

I posted some thoughts about this in another topic that might be worth having a look over.

viewtopic.php?t=12006

Did your players believe jari? Mine did not.

HunterGreen

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 14:23

I think you could play it without the journey, assuming Jari leads and the road is known and easy, but I played it and just gave everyone +1d to reflect Jari's leading.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

JLandan

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 23:50

My players let Jari Guide, otherwise using standard Journey Phase rules. At specific times I dropped info when appropriate.

Leuwart

Thu 30 Nov 2023, 01:50

I asked myself the same question when I read this adventure. Then I thought journeys are a vital part of the game and it is a design decision that PH roll checks and NPCs don’t. But the story should always come first. Sure you can rule that Jari will pass every guide test as a normal success but why should Jari take over the role of the guide in the first place?
It can be part of his disguise as a damsel-in-distress-like dwarf to let the PH do all the work. He can provide assistance to the rolls granting 1 bonus die.

elnigno
Topic Author

Thu 30 Nov 2023, 10:38

Did your players believe jari? Mine did not.
They think he's hiding something, but seem to overall believe the treasure story. They are actually more suspicious of Diarmoc, who they think just wants to kill Jari once the treasure is found.

Thanks everyone, I like the suggestion of Jari not leading but giving a +1d bonus, it makes good sense! That also allows the players to use the bonus from the "PONDER STORIED AND FIGURED MAPS" undertaking they chose during Yule.