JLandan
Topic Author

Why are Guides not possible targets during Journeys?

Sat 30 Sep 2023, 23:47

Why are Guides not possible targets for events during the Journey phase?

Sebastian

Re: Why are Guides not possible targets during Journeys?

Tue 17 Oct 2023, 16:52

I only play TOR, but it’s the same there. The reason might be, the Guide already rolls for Travel, to see how far you get without trouble. If he is again the target, it is one player, who keeps rolling, while the others stand back and watch.

JLandan
Topic Author

Tue 17 Oct 2023, 20:34

Possibly. I see the logic in the argument, but I disagree with it. No matter who is the target of the event, the others stand by and watch. I am of the opinion that the Travel check and the event checks are an entirely different thing, and the Guide should be a possible target. Maybe a weighted d6 roll, like 1 Guide, 2-3 Hunter, 4-5 Scout, 6 Look-out. Or just a d4: 1 guide, 2 Hunter, 3 Scout, 4 Look-out.

Sebastian

Tue 17 Oct 2023, 22:11

Well, it is obviously a design choice. In the TOR alpha the guide could be the target, then they changed it. So if you don't like it, just modify the rules, not a big deal!

Redcoat

Tue 21 Nov 2023, 22:13

I kinda see the logic. The guide role is the only one that doesn't involve a direct risk during the journey. You could easily have a mishap hunting or scouting ahead, and if you are keeping watch you are the one who is going to notice trouble (or not) - although it seems to me that everyone ought to be doing shifts keeping watch at night. If the guide forgets to provision tents or grape jelly for the trip it effects the whole company, not just the target of the mishap, so that is factored into the journey roll I would say.

Hafficci

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 11:06

Agreed. It seems to be a bit illogical that the Guide couldn't be the target of an incoming event of the journey.

It was the same in Adventures in Middle Earth, but the events usually involved everyone in the Company to check during an event. Events in TLotRR are a bit more 'compact' and usually just one character is involved in the event outcome.

As @Sebastian said, it is not a big deal (I'm planning to keep using AiME events or even Enchanted Journeys, if I deem it necessary), because we can modify it in our way.

JLandan
Topic Author

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 21:27

I think I'll probably include Guides, but make it a weighted roll.
Something like:
1) Guide
2-3) Explorer
4-5) Hunter
6) Look-out

Seems to me explorers and hunters are more likely to get into a fix or spot something inspiring. Guides and look-outs are less active.

Standforth

Wed 22 Nov 2023, 22:26

When I read about the 4 journey roles, I assumed the procedure was meant to split up the duties among the players. Since the guide makes all the pathfinder rolls, that hero is already sort of determining if the whole company is going to get a longer or shorter trip based on those rolls, e.g. a bunch of bad rolls and the company only moves 1 or 2 hexes between events compared to 3-4 for better rolls. So the guide's rolls also play a part in the fatigue DC modifiers as part of their duty simply by making all the pathfinder checks. For each event / pathfinder roll, one of the other 3 roles will make ability checks based on the event resolution procedure, almost all of which can affect the DC modifiers directly depending on success/failure, etc.

If we let the guide be a target of an event for a given leg of the journey, then the guide "gets" to roll all the pathfinder and event rolls while the other players are doing nothing for that leg.

From a role-playing standpoint, I just think of it like this: the company ends the day's walking so the guide sits at the campfire looking at the map, the lookouts are climbing trees and cliff-faces actively watching for danger that might invade the camp area, the hunters are out trying to procure food, while the scouts are out trying to find the best path for tomorrow's journey. It makes perfect sense to me why the guide wouldn't be near as likely to trigger an event under those circumstances.

Redcoat

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 00:29

From a role-playing standpoint, I just think of it like this: the company ends the day's walking so the guide sits at the campfire looking at the map, the lookouts are climbing trees and cliff-faces actively watching for danger that might invade the camp area, the hunters are out trying to procure food, while the scouts are out trying to find the best path for tomorrow's journey. It makes perfect sense to me why the guide wouldn't be near as likely to trigger an event under those circumstances.
I think that is worth considering too

JLandan
Topic Author

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 21:26

My reasoning is that the Guide is under no jeopardy whatsoever. Even if the Guide rolls poorly and the journey takes longer, the Guide will never be the brunt of a bad result. Only the Hunter, Look-out and Scout may get harmed, while the Guide is completely immune. Seems unfair to me.