LordEntr0py
Topic Author

Raven's Purge with Orc party

Fri 03 Nov 2023, 17:23

Looking forward to getting started on running FL next week. Have the Raven's Purge campaign lined up and ready to go.

My players have kinda leaned heavily into playing a party of Orcs and Goblins. We're aware of the differences in FL compared to classic fantasy, but we've talked through it at a high level.

Specifically, the people playing Orcs have decided they wanted to be active Viraga members.

What's interesting about this is how it turns some things around in the expected encounters.

I suspect that Hroka's stronghold is more likely to be a base of operations for them than The Hollows. The written events at the Eye of the Rose assume that the PCs might join the Redrunners in attacking the Fort, but the since the Empress is essentially the PCs chief, they are likely to side with the Orcs.

Since Elves are clearly a main antagonist, I decided I might start the PCs off by having them escape or evade a group of Elven slavers who have captured them and don't care about the difference between Orcs and Goblins. If these Elves are affiliated with the Redrunners they might have an old map (the one I'll show them for the tabletop game) and a journal discussing the legend of Stanengist.

It seems the Eye of the Rose would likely be an early adventure site, and I might flesh it out with some more involved encounters to make it as complex as the Hollows.

Has anyone else had similar experience? I haven't finished reading the Raven's Purge book yet, but do people have any thoughts on how this could affect them other adventure sites?

Dizzyfugu

Re: Raven's Purge with Orc party

Sun 05 Nov 2023, 10:49

I do not see many problems, esp. when it's an all-orc party with some gobbos. After all, the motivation can still be that the party fights for their kin's independence and respect - and how much you can or must change some other settings (e.g. encounters with dwarves and elves) may depend on how deeply you establish and play out "traditional animosities". Can lead to some interesting functional relationships, though, with lots of character development potential. Even Eye of the Rose can IMHO be played as such, when the PCs are simply after the Blood Clasp "for the hreater good" and have no loyalties towards Hroka and the local clan.

jasales

Mon 06 Nov 2023, 19:15

This sounds like a really fun way to play! Keep us posted on how this campaign progresses. It sounds like alot of fun.

LordEntr0py
Topic Author

Thu 09 Nov 2023, 17:20

Going to start the campaign this evening. My Viraga players will start knowing the legend of the Eye of the Rose for free, but they haven't traveled there yet or met Soria. Their Elven captors have the table map, but my players will only have a rough idea of which forest they are in, not exactly where.

A captor will also drop a journal containing the legend of Stanengist, alongside vague notes about Kalman Rodenfell ordering the Redrunners to the Eye if the Rose.

Players don't know who the Redrunners or Rodenfell are yet, if course, but this little "fortunate" pairing of clues seems like it could be the inciting incident to put them in the right track early on (I'm thinking: they learn that their Viraga leader has a magic ruby, there are some important magic Elven rubies, and that some Elves after interested in that ruby in connection with this crown).

Kinda want to put them on the track of the Phantom Daggers early-ish as well, but don't want to overload them in the first session or two. These seem line a good choice because I have at least two sneaky folks and they also have a connection to Elvish history.