w_nightraven
Topic Author

Dialogue with various vaesen?

Mon 23 Oct 2023, 14:00

Hi! I have just recently purchased the game and I'm planning my first game(s). I have read the rules quite thoroughly, but there's something about the nature of the vaesen that's giving me a hard time imagining how the players can interact with them or learn about them besides combat and rituals. I assume the vaesen CAN talk to and listen to humans, even those who don't have the Sight, if they desire so. There are examples of them even having relationships with NPC's in the book.

I'm looking for general guidelines, ideas, examples and experiences about the following questions:
- Would it be better for some of the more monstrous / animal-like vaesen not to be able to understand / communicate with humans much? For example Sea Serpents, Lindworms, Brook Horses and Church Grims?
- How should vaesen generally react to being seen by those with the Sight? Do all of them, or maybe just a few of them know about Thursday's Children?
- As a GM how can I make the dialogue feel a bit more special / mystical compared to normal human NPC's? I feel it shouldn't seem too mundane to communicate with vaesen. In the Dance of Dreams Oscar seems to mostly talk in ghostly whispers. Any other examples like this for other, not-so-ghostly vaesen?
- In the Dance of Dreams it's mentioned that players can use Manipulation against Oscar. I feel this should be generally a very rare option limited to specific vaesen, and only made possible if the players have gathered enough knowledge to "pull the right strings". Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to bring up anything else you find interesting about the modes of communication between humans and vaesen.

psullie

Re: Dialogue with various vaesen?

Thu 26 Oct 2023, 18:25

The listing are only examples, feel free to adjust them to suit your own play style, though remember that some are truly monstrous and simply fighting them would be nigh impossible. But then figuring out how to stop a rampaging beast that can't be reasoned with could be fun,
I play to most Vaesen are aware that some humans can see them. Part of the reason they shun settlements. Their individual reaction would depend entirely on why they were there in the first instance.
Look to other horror tropes such telepathy, speaking with strange accents or missing up words or grammar, using a voice from the listeners past...
With Oscar this is a unique condition of solving the mystery, I would only allow this once the PC have what they think are all the facts, even imposing a -1 or -2 if they have missed vital elements,