Tarynt Essrog

Re: Building Better Worlds PDF Feedback

Fri 06 Oct 2023, 05:31

Page 19 says, “Colonies that wish to leave are given seven days to evacuate.”

I think that is probably supposed to say, “Colonists that wish to leave are given seven days to evacuate.”

Mentorian

Fri 06 Oct 2023, 09:54

Page 257 (Map): There are two "100 meter" scales on the map.

Operations

Sat 07 Oct 2023, 01:34

I'm skimming through the book now, and the first I noticed was a missing word in the description of the Hammerpede (page 120). There seems to be a missing word or line at the end of the description.
I found it. It somehow got carried over to the next page. You can barely see it though as it's mostly black text on a black background. I only caught it because I accidentally highlighted all the text on my tablet trying to quick zoom to see what it was.

I attached an image because it simply explains it better.

https://imgur.com/a/xjopZ36

Scorpion

Sat 07 Oct 2023, 13:39

Page 144: Mother Ma'kala should be renamed to Mother Mishka from the Colonial Marines Manual unless something happened. Assuming the former is correct, her android model is wrong it shows her as a HYPERDYNE SERIES 120A/3 SYNTHETIC when she should be a WEYLAND-YUTANI AVA 8 SERIES SYNTHETIC. Her attributes are wrong as well, they were STRENGTH 6, AGILITY 3, WITS 4, EMPATHY 7 before Stage 2 and with the Stage 2 mutation should be STRENGTH 9, AGILITY 4, WITS 4, EMPATHY 1 not STRENGTH 7, AGILITY 7, WITS 6, EMPATHY 1, Naturally her Health would increase from 6 to 9 . She has one of her skills wrong as well, Mishka had Mobility 4 prior to her mutation and is now Mobility 2.

Books wide: DA/TH/UR 2200 is never given stats that I could find even when it was mentioned in "Heart of Darkness" Someone please PM me if I somehow missed it.

Elythia

Sat 07 Oct 2023, 21:02

Page 276:
The table „RADIATION“ is supposed to work with 2D6, but there is a value 13+.

Page 277:
Using 2D6 the table „HYDROSPHERE“ should end with 12 instead of 12+.

Page 277 + 278:
The table „REGIONAL TERRAIN > TERRAIN“ is supposed to work with a D66, but it ends with 76+ instead of 66 (or 65+).

Please check all the tables in the book, the more I look for errors the more I find.
Last edited by Elythia on Sun 08 Oct 2023, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

eched

Sun 08 Oct 2023, 00:02

Here are the errors I found in the new book.

1. The Talent Hold Your Nerve says it can be used once a scenario. This is not a common time period in the game system. Not sure if it means once a game or what. It's just not a common used term so it is unclear the time frame.

2. The Starshell Flare Pistol bugs me a bit. This is likely a me thing, but I love how hard this system works at balancing its weapons so there is no 'best' option and players instead just go with what feels right. But the Flare Pistol kind of breaks that. It's the cheapest ranged weapon in the game now. It has a better base damage and better rang then most of the other pistols in the game and it makes light, which when hardly anything has dark vision and darkness in this system can be just devastating, is a MASSIVE benefit. Yes, it can't kill enemies, but it still does just as well knocking them out. So, it kind of means it makes the M4A3 Service Pistol and the .357 Magnum Revolver and a few other weapons kind of pointless. I feel like the price of the flare pistol should be lifted just so it doesn't out shine the other lower end weapons.

3. In the Hammerpede creature description it says "They also like to force themselves down" and then the line just cuts out. This could be a joke in the book, but it feels like a writing error.

4. The creature Venator becomes invisible with a few of its attack options. There is no break down to how this works in game. I can kind of assume it works the same way darkness does in the game, but it should be stated how it works to make things clear.

That's all the glaring stuff that I feel should be fixed. Other then that I really like this book and will be using it in my games.

Gebohq

Sun 08 Oct 2023, 03:49

The things I found, which I'm hoping I'm not repeating things already said I'll be referencing using "physical" page numbers, not PDF ones.

Far Spinward Colonies Star Map (beginning and end) -- unsure if the "2183" date is intentional or if it should be 2185 (or some other year)

Page 23, "Eldridge Sanchez—MIA 2011" -- should probably be 2111"

Page 29 (under Scout), Page 30 (under The Kid or Pet), page 49 (under Husbandry), possibly others -- multiple references are made to dogs (and synthetic dogs) as key parts of the experience, but no stats or other mechanics are given for a standard dog, or if standard synth rules apply to them. While the overall lack of livestock/non-XX creature stats/generator is crossing into opinion, something for dogs in particular seem more like a potential printing oversight

Page 42 (under Omni-Tech Resources) and page 82 (under "Atmosphere Processing") -- the former references their process taking centuries, like the latter says it takes decades. One of these needs to be corrected (if the latter, the following statement that W-Y's processors take the same time would need adjusting).

Pages 84-88 (Expedition types) -- Uncertain if this was on purpose or not, but unlike CMOM, there seem to be different names from the mission types in the core rulebook, alongside new ones (which is fine) and lacking ones mentioned in the core rulebook. Read rather confusing with expectations laid in prior materials.

Page 93 (Compression Suit Breach table) -- There are results up to 8 on a d6 roll with no apparent indication how those results would add up.

Page 124 (Revenant and Beluga Head stats) -- The two blocks list a "Stealth" stat which should be removed

Page 125 (under "Horrible Roar" signature attack 1) -- "Near range" I presume should be "short range"?

Page 180 (and the remainder of the Lost Worlds campaign) -- unsure if lack of notations in which maps are for PCs and not is intentional or not, comparing with CMOM's Frontier War

Page 180 (and the remainder of 1. Home Sweet Home) -- At least the first reference (or a reference) to Harvester should be "Harvester-like" as in later in the book, since lore-wise, an actual Harvester can't be present (the idea of Harvesters being taken to other worlds off of Tanaka for mining was from a Bionational executive, and the company was formed decades after the Isolation).

Page 187 (under "The Vault") -- the reference to the Pulse Rifle should be replaced with the Weyland Storm rifle, per lore reasons

Page 195 (under "Landing"), first use of errata but is on other pages beyond -- "PILOT" should be "PILOTING" when referencing the skill check

Page 203 -- the map seems lacking in detail to the point of uncertainty if this was a mistake, as it doesn't seem terribly useful relative to other maps

Page 210-211 -- The creatures are called "Octobugs" despite only having 3 limbs.

Page 222 (under "Meeting the Warlord") - The test to detect lying asks for Observation against the NPC's Manipulation. The core rulebook heavily suggests this should be a Manipulation vs Manipulation check ("it takes a liar to spot a liar")

Page 250 (Automaton Signature Attack table) -- The results go up to 9 on a d6 roll with no apparent description how to get a result above a 6

Page 256 and 258 (under "Heads" and "Spine" respectively) -- Perhaps wishful thinking, but should the Observation checks (usually used to detect danger or gear) be Survival checks instead (which according to the CRB is used to find safety)? Official uses of the Survival skill seem conspicuously absent in a campaign chock-full of exploring new unfamiliar worlds with environmental hazards.

Page 272 (Under "It's Weird and Pissed Off") -- seems confusing that the only official use the Empress in the campaign dictates specific signature attack uses

I realize some of my corrections above may err on more than mere proofreading, but I hope the reasons I included them as proofreading notes are understandable.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

Tarynt Essrog

Sun 08 Oct 2023, 07:33

The Core Rules say, on page 243, that Gemini Exoplanet Solutions is an affiliate of of Seegson, and that Seegson has a bitter (one-way) rivalry with Weyland-Yutani.

I am inferring a contradiction on page 42 of Building Better Worlds, where it says, "Gemini has worked with Weyland-Yutani, Seegson, and the Kelland Mining Company."

It seems like that was probably supposed to indicate some company other than Weyland-Yutani. (Or maybe the Core Rules shouldn't have indicated an official connection between Gemini Exoplanet Solutions and Seegson).

Lurker01

Sun 08 Oct 2023, 12:51

Page 22 Border Bombers Pathogen: "Shambala system" should possibly be "Shanmen system".
Authority (general talent page 49) - Name conflicts with Colonial Marshal career talent from the core rulebook. Needs renaming - will need to be updated with NPC's who have it through out the book.
Pg 51 the mining wildcatter - do they get a single B9 charge or should there be a multiple d3/d6 number there? And is it really choose between a suit or a tractor
or should it be a choice of suits?
Pg 110 - KOI-610 - May Outpost - Royal Marines don't do battalions, that's an army unit of organisation. Royal Marines use the term Commando with a numbered prefix (40, 41, 42 etc to designate a battalion sized number of personnel). Anything after 49 is good.
Under Gear and Ship's no stats are provided for the standard equipment - mining / welding lasers and manipulator arms - for the UC-3G Maintenance Shuttle or the EVA-7C Pressure Pod, as they were in HoD - which is great if you have that supplement but a bummer if you don't.
The stats for the DA/UT/UR mainframe also appear to be missing. I can't find them in Heart of Darkness either.
Why do we still not have the Harrington Autorifle as a weapon in game? It's been mentioned but never seen. The Weyland Storm Rifle should have a table of flaws (the USCMC couldn't wait to get rid of it as it was a useless weapon outside of "ideal conditions") and I would suggest doubling the weight of the ammo as well. Boxes of conventional 5.56mm depleted uranium cartridges are going to weigh more than a M41A magazine. Check the lore on this one.
The rules for reloading the Hyperdyne Revolver need to be simplified. Why not just say as it's fiddly, it takes a full turn, both a fast and a slow action to fully reload the weapon. Off set with a weight 1/2 as it's a lightweight 3d printed design.
The M72 is the name of the military issue flare for the U1 grenade launcher. Would suggest the more common civilian issue flare gun found in survival kits becomes the Watatsumi Colonial Trans. AP-49 Flare Signal Oxy-Atmospheric 20mm (Pat Cadigan per W.G Alien 3 book) or Weyland Corp. (W-Y) RD-F02 Flare Gun 40mm (David's flare gun in Alien Covenant) and that it is specified as single shot only and must be reloaded after each use.
The stats for the Rexim laser pistol are inconsistent with those from the core rules. Would suggest if you want to keep it as weight 1 that the description text reads that LAG and Sight are fitted as standard on this model and that the range is increased to Long. Removal of the sight would then remove the range increase rather than the weapon bonus as per the core rules. The LAG itself should have a specified power supply.
The MP-4043 seems a little overpowered for a pistol. Would suggest putting damage down to 1, the weight to 1/2 and changing the armour piercing characteristic to fully automatic giving you sci-fi Stechkin / Skorpion for officers and MSS agents. MP could designate machine pistol.
Personal opinion but no pistol or revolver should be Weight 1. The difference in size and weight between a handgun and a rifle is fairly substantial.
The stats for the CCC4 spacesuits seems to be at odds with its description in the text. Based on the description text it should be weight 1 or 1/2 with only the observation penalty and not the mobility penalty.
The Presidium armour - needs work. Suggest base armour as 2, cost 800 - Optional iridium coated anti laser vest adds +1 armour and the same ability (laser absorption/ deflection) that the Bi/Mex glasses in CMOM has but over a larger area (3/4 dice?). Cost is an additional 200/300? Either way the cost of the upgrade/ addition should be specified. And it should have a built in PDT locator.
The ECO2 suit has a small laser cutter built into its right glove in Alien Covenant - might be a useful addition - damage 1 power supply 1 range engaged.
There are several references to M41A pulse rifles given to characters that should never have seen them outside of those supplied to the Mother Mission. They would be an oddity in this area of space having only been available since the mid 2170's. Would suggest that as it's old 3WE territory that the RMC F90 should be present and the standard AP FA weapon should be the bullpup SA8082 listed as carried by Captain Snell . All the Royal Marines should have this as their weapon in the stat block for NPC's on page 171 instead of the M41 listed. In addition, those RMC's have different stats to the ones in the CMOM, fewer skills and different attributes despite having seen action. Conversely Captain Snell herself ( nice Easter egg with the name - give her a green beret in her gear and can we get stats for the sword and a proper designation for her sniper rifle - L130A3 or some-such?) has 15 attribute points and 17 skill points - Mobility 5? Security Officer Hamidah Amir has 15 attribute points but only 8 in skills (she needs an NSG-23, not a Pulse Rifle), Quintana only has 9 skill points etc. Is this intended?
Were dogs, both real and synthetic supposed to be included? Mentioned in the early pages but nothing along the lines of the cat in HoD are present later in the book and lack of a "Powder Monkey" demolitions related talent is a real oversight.
Last edited by Lurker01 on Mon 09 Oct 2023, 22:21, edited 4 times in total.

Storm

Mon 09 Oct 2023, 04:57

I've noticed each book has what I call "Lost" Items. This time I'm able to point them out before print so here they are. These items can be found most in NPC gear list. Some have stats, some don't. Listing by psychical page number and the NPC it can be found with.

Career starting gear for players
Pg 47: Colonial Marine has the item Handcuffs. (I don't expect stats but putting it in the gear list would be nice. Maybe even a little tip of how you can break them with strength test?)

Colonial Marshal Again Handcuffs as well as Bounty hunter / investigator license. (Again I don't expect stats but having them list in the gear area would be nice)

Kid has Patched-up M316 Motion Tracker (I'm guessing other then looking banged up its stats are the same as a M316 motion tracker, but in the event it was not, like a weaker power supply?) and Fake Class-2 rating Powerloader license (Another license not sure if it would give a +1 to events or what so I'm pointing it out)

Pg 48: Officer has a Megaphone and Unofficial access keycard to your boss’s office.
Pilot has box of excellent (but probably illegal) cigars (would these actually relieve/add stress like drugs/addictions?)

Roughneck has Harvester wrangling equipment This item seems high useful yet no listing in gear and only a blurb of an explanation on pg 90 "Mining Operations Using A Tamed Harvester & "That's Not In The Manual" on 90 it also has the Zapper tool/weapon (again not in the gear list) that I'm assuming is within the Harverster wrangling equipment.

Pg 53: Entertaner has Switchblade knife (I'm assuming besides a name change it has the same stats as I knife in the gear list. Though I'm thinking its easily hidden and should be +1 bonus and +1 damage weight of 1/4. I would also just call it a switchblade but that's just me)

Pg 60: Rexim RXF-M4 EVA Mining Laser seems too weak to be a Mining laser... One of my players geeked out on this and said it should do at least more base damage then the smart gun. This is our rundown. Wildcatter B9 Blast-Mining Charge does 9 base damage with Armor Piercing. The smart gun does +3 bonus 3 base damage and a Armat XM99A Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle does +0 bones 4 base damage. This is a Mining laser its supposed to break through heavy metals and its weaker then the average damage a gun does?
So this is what we came up with -2 bonus +9 damage short range weight 3 Armor Piercing. The weight increase to help balance out the extra damage, keep short range also for balance. I'm hoping this was just a minor number mishap but in the event it was not this is our suggestion.

Pg 65: Folding Winch has changed from the CMOM books "Comment" instead of removing the need roll to climb it gives +2 mod to mobility rolls when you climb. Are we to assume this is an update to this item?

Pg 145: CAPTAIN J.V. GORHAM III gear list has pocketknife no stats ( I would stat it like the switchblade to be honest easily hidden type but weaker damage more chances to hit though) She also "tools" listed I'm guess this a GM choice for what tools she has but figure I point it out in the event its not.

WARLORD ZHAˉNGJIÉ has a concealed derringer (bonus +1, base Damage 2, Short range, 2 shots). We have the stats but again not in the officail gear list so "Lost" item because its easily missed and players would never know it was there to begin with.

Pg 150: GENERAL NURLAN OZOLINSKI has Covert body armor (Armor Rating 3) yeah for stats but how much does it weigh and cost? My players would love this.

Pg 158 SECURITY HAMIDAH AMIR has a combat knife listed assuming it just uses the core books stats for a knife unless that's changed?

Pg 159 MECHANIC DAVOR KOBLENZ has an early issue UPP ratchet and UPP-branded cap Not sure if the need stats still "Lost" item. (Side note this dude looks like Jackson Galaxy and I love it. I'm giving him a cat that follows him everywhere and glares at the players if they get on his bad side)

ICC INSPECTOR TAN BLATCHMAN has Expedition fatigues in ICC livery I'm assuming its just a "reskin" over the standard Expedition Fatigues but in the event its not I'm pointing it out.

Pg 170 Governor Kholwa Abantu has personal communicator stats?
UNCSS Ìyánlá Senior Flight Officer, Captain Tadesse Kondwani has Dress flight suit

UA Director Valentina Berezi has Notebook and solid gold pen don't need stats but again random item lost among the pages. Though I did give one of my players a notebook because they wanted to have a "hard copy" of their notes in the event their Datapad got broken. So I like seeing NPCs have one too.

3WE Colonel David Buston has Covert body armor (AP2) what is this? Is this the same as the Generals on PG 150? What does the AP2 stand for?

Hyperdyne Corp Director Pereira Abrams has "Stylish overalls and tools" Are these overalls the same stats as the Heavy workers overalls that give a +3 to armor? And again "tools" what kind of tools?

Kelland Prospector General Lee Taylor has personal communicator again no info.

UNISC Peacekeepers have "flashlight and combat knife" I'm guessing the same stats as "knife" and "Hi-beam flashlight" from the core book. Or?

Pg 171 ICC Inspectors has flashlight and “Do Not Cross” hazard tape.

Corporate & Government Reps has a Penlight would a penlight be stated the same as a "Hi-beam flashlight" from the core book?

Children of the Two Divines Devotee has a Club assuming the same stats a "blunt instrument" from the core book.

Weylander Guards have Leather armor (Armor 1), spear, cudgel I did find stats for the spear on pg

Pg 172 Feral Raiders have Armor scraps (Armor 2), spear, large knife
Cliff-Dweller Workers Have Spear, worn knife

Pg 181 EMILIA MORINO has Protective clothing (Armor Rating 2), vault keycard, hologram
DANNY MORINO Protective clothing (Armor Rating 2), an old Weyland Corporation chit for a return flight to Earth
DIEGO MORINO also has protective clothing (Armor Rating 2)

Pg 182 MORGAN PARKS also has Protective clothing (Armor Rating 2), combat knife, vault keycard
VIOLET PARKS Protective clothing (Armor Rating 2), heavy wrench
BENNY PARKS Protective clothing (Armor Rating 2), Danny Morino’s vault keycard

Pg 190 PATRICK PARKS Protective clothing (Armor Rating 2),
Pg 191 MAYA MORINO Flight suit (Armor Rating 3), combat knife

Pg 197 WEYLANDER GUARDS Heavy batons (Bonus +1, Damage 1), Weyland Corporation protective overalls (Armor Rating 3)

VIDAN SIMENYA has Walking stick and fine garments with the Weyland Corporation logo (would fine garments give a +1 to manipulation?

DZUMA TIBANDI tattered Weyland Corporation overalls (would these have a 2 instead of a 3 armor rating like the above pair?)

Pg 198 CHIKONDI OKAFOR Small Knife

Pg 223 CAPTAIN GUANTING and BRIGADIER XÌN W˘O both have CANC Combat armor (Armor Rating 6) with wrist-blade

Pg 227 CAPTAIN HANNAH SNELL Battered armor (Armor Rating 4), RMC scope riflfle (equivalent to the M42A), RMC SA8082 (equivalent to M41A Pulse Riflfle), sword This is the second time you've given a sword but no stats... Maybe I just have crazy players but my group fought over the sword in DoW and then proceed to be annoyed when it didn't have stats. I've made my own since then but I mean official stats would be nice please and thank you.

pg 243 LELAND BARTON Torn flight suit

Final note Why don't we have a Xenobiologist career? Also dog and Synthetic dogs talked about alot but no stats for them?