finarvyn
Topic Author

Re: Spellcasters in TLotRRPG

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 03:36

Some great conversation, and great ideas here. I'm probably going to copy-paste most of this thread to mine for ideas, so thanks for keeping it going! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Fell in love with Tales from The Loop, Vaesen, 5E LotRR ... Now hooked on Dragonbane, which still should be called Drakar och Demoner IMO. Played OD&D since 1975..

Robin Smallburrow

Mon 18 Sep 2023, 11:53

Sorry for the delay but only just saw these posts! I produced a Magic Supplement for 1E TOR & AiME (although the AiME version is not finished), using the ideas from the Magical Treasure chapter in the LM book as my starting point. I can post it here if anyone is interested. I must also recommend for any designing 'magic rules' for Middle-earth to get hold of the latest issue (#26) of Other Minds and read Thomas Morwinsky's article on "Learning Spells in Roleplaying Games Set in Middle-Earth" - his ideas are crucial IMHO, and one of the reasons I am reworking mine!

finarvyn
Topic Author

Mon 18 Sep 2023, 15:06

I must also recommend for any designing 'magic rules' for Middle-earth to get hold of the latest issue (#26) of Other Minds and read Thomas Morwinsky's article on "Learning Spells in Roleplaying Games Set in Middle-Earth" - his ideas are crucial IMHO, and one of the reasons I am reworking mine!
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm tracking it down now. :)
Marv / Finarvyn
Fell in love with Tales from The Loop, Vaesen, 5E LotRR ... Now hooked on Dragonbane, which still should be called Drakar och Demoner IMO. Played OD&D since 1975..

Elenath

Wed 20 Sep 2023, 19:07

Sorry for the delay but only just saw these posts! I produced a Magic Supplement for 1E TOR & AiME (although the AiME version is not finished), using the ideas from the Magical Treasure chapter in the LM book as my starting point. I can post it here if anyone is interested. I must also recommend for any designing 'magic rules' for Middle-earth to get hold of the latest issue (#26) of Other Minds and read Thomas Morwinsky's article on "Learning Spells in Roleplaying Games Set in Middle-Earth" - his ideas are crucial IMHO, and one of the reasons I am reworking mine!
Likewise thank you!

Adelard Took

Tue 07 Nov 2023, 18:02

I have seen some things online/ U-Tube that were very interesting. Check out Will at the World’s End. His stuff is made for TOR 2E but can be adapted into 5E with a little work. He has a lot of cool adventures as well.
He made the Istari a Character Culture rather than a class with a soft magic system of spells that hold a Middle Earth flavor. I found it well researched and true to the setting.
No surprise that the Wizard Staff is the focus used. I would give such staffs the magical blessings of Old Lore and Perception. Each comes with a crystal that could be used with the Light Cantrip. I hope this helps.