Sennah001
Topic Author

Bloodmarch - Player Introduction and Info.

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 20:46

Hello everyone!

I'm about to start the Bloodmarch campaign in two weeks and my players want some information about the new land to the west, Aslene. I have been reading the Bloodmarch book and noticed that it includes a "GM part of the book" and payers should stop reading there... It also mentions that the players can read chapter 1-4 which I assume includes "The Arrival of the Seven". But some information in chapter 1-4 seems like it should be kept secret.

So my question is - What parts of the Bloodmarch book have you all shared (or going to share) with your player? If any that is.

Best Regards
Sennah

JohanR

Re: Bloodmarch - Player Introduction and Info.

Mon 04 Sep 2023, 22:01

Since they aren't from the region I would just pick a fitting background from page 11-12.
The player's doesn't really have to know much more than that. And I would not allow them to access the book.

I would reform the other information in the chapters they where possibly able to read to be found as rumors instead. And I would also give each PC a fitting one, and also some other legend to give them some initial goal. It can be fun to give different players different info, so that they have to talk to each other to get a better picture, or just to make them believe in different things.
One rumor the players should probably get their hands on early, is the one about Eor, haflings and goblins.
Just think about the people they meet. They will have their own reasons for being there, and some might share.

They have obviously come across a map of the region if you play it over a table, but it could be very old, and without any locations. Or if you are playing online, with a hidden map (fog of war), then you could perhaps give them a hand drawn slightly inaccurate map? I like that as, it is good for them to have something to sketch on. And it is always funny when someone says "oh, that place, well it is just up in the mountains, you know where this river originates" and then their version of the map has the origin of the river slightly in the wrong direction when it goes into the wilder parts. So they could be given correct information, but still mark it wrongly.
Perhaps give your players tips that they are allowed to ask around for more information about places, if they think anyone would tell them, or give them the truth. Like "I will try to find out more about Firestead (as shown on the map), by acting friendly and buying that dwarf another flagon of ale", and so on.