Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Heroic Abilities

Sun 06 Aug 2023, 03:57

Regarding Heroic Abilities, does anyone have s good "pacing" they use for allowing players to pick heroic Abilities? I mean outside of the rules when you complete a story arc or a "heroic moment" or whatever.

zcthu3

Re: Heroic Abilities

Sun 06 Aug 2023, 04:02

I have’t tried it out yet, but I’m contemplating using a more BRP style of advancement where characters advance by using skills rather than being awarded Advancement Rolls like experience points. As part of that, I was going to let characters seek out trainers to try and learn heroic abilities after a week of intensive training, and a successful attribute roll (generally whatever attribute is associated with the HA). Robust and Focused would get progressively harder with a bane for every time they’ve already learned that ability.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Sun 06 Aug 2023, 20:42

I have’t tried it out yet, but I’m contemplating using a more BRP style of advancement where characters advance by using skills rather than being awarded Advancement Rolls like experience points. As part of that, I was going to let characters seek out trainers to try and learn heroic abilities after a week of intensive training, and a successful attribute roll (generally whatever attribute is associated with the HA). Robust and Focused would get progressively harder with a bane for every time they’ve already learned that ability.
That seems like a cool idea. I'm just looking for alternative ways to obtain them aside from "story ends" or whatever. Seems like they are a cool way to grow your character but i can also see where they can get out of hand if given to often.
D&D can give out feats every X level, while there is no such level component in Dragonbane.

I thought about a cost system, like symbaroum. Where you would put some of your "adventure checkmarks" aside and instead of rolling to improve an attribute you can "buy" a heroic feat. I'm thinking 10 points would be a decent cost, even if it's one you could buy multiple times (or maybe +5 points for each additional purchase cumulative of the same heroic feat... so 10; 15, 20 etc).

Or maybe lower the target on skills to 16 for your first one, 17 for your 2nd and 18 (per the raw) from there.

zcthu3

Sun 06 Aug 2023, 21:09

I suggested something like that during the campaign (enabling stockpiling 5 or 10 advancement rolls to buy HAs) because i wasn’t keen on the ‘every 5 sessions’ originally proposed or the largely GM fiat we got. My players like to choose what things they might like for their characters, and some either save up advances for something cool, while others spend them quickly. I suspect the current HA method is a little too much at the whim of the GM (in saying that, they don’t seem to mind the advancement in Liminal where new quality points get unlocked every three skill advancements, so maybe they’d have been okay with the every 5 sessions…).

Regardless, I think there are multiple ways to do it from the RAW to a more BRP style (which I am leaning towards trying as that’s what I was originally hoping for), to saving up a certain number of advancement rolls (5 or 10 depending on how quick you want them to be gained).

Ebrim

Mon 07 Aug 2023, 00:58

Make a challenge explicit to the players. If they are undertaking something, you can dangle a heroic ability in front of them explicitly if they find a way to complete your challenge.

You can even get creative with it, “solve x crisis without using violence”, etc.

That shouldn’t be the only way they can get an HA but it’s an option that you should make them aware of.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Wed 09 Aug 2023, 18:19

I think the number of heroic abilities could also be a good way to evaluate the relative toughness/experience (ie: levels) of a PC for adventure, combat and changed design.

Like... right now, as written, im not sure what a good rate of "advancement" is. What is a good rate of dolling out HA's?

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Mon 14 Aug 2023, 22:36

I suggested something like that during the campaign (enabling stockpiling 5 or 10 advancement rolls to buy HAs) because i wasn’t keen on the ‘every 5 sessions’ originally proposed or the largely GM fiat we got. My players like to choose what things they might like for their characters, and some either save up advances for something cool, while others spend them quickly. I suspect the current HA method is a little too much at the whim of the GM (in saying that, they don’t seem to mind the advancement in Liminal where new quality points get unlocked every three skill advancements, so maybe they’d have been okay with the every 5 sessions…).

Regardless, I think there are multiple ways to do it from the RAW to a more BRP style (which I am leaning towards trying as that’s what I was originally hoping for), to saving up a certain number of advancement rolls (5 or 10 depending on how quick you want them to be gained).
Hey there... going back to this, i think I'm going to leave it up to a group vote. Either X sessions or X advancement points.

If i did the "by sessions"I could scale the every X sessions to pick your first one after 3 sessions, then for each additional HA add +1 sessions, or something like that... so 4 sessions for the next one...5 for the next, etc. This reflects diminishing returns while leaving a goal for them to aim for.