mcjakenberry
Topic Author

Rules Clarification: Identifying a Nexus 9

Sun 16 Jul 2023, 04:34

Like title says, do we know how Nexus 9's are identified?
We know that Nexus 8's were identified by a serial number printed under their (left?) eye, and the VK test could also be used in the absence of the serial number.
The short film where Wallace introduces the 9 suggests they have a number, but if you look at it it's actually an NX8 number, and K in 2049 does not have a number (or willingly chooses not to look).
Wallace seems pretty confident in the 9's that I can imagine he would intentionally leave off the serial number as a symbol of his faith in his ability to create a truly obedient replicant.
The rule book has an emphasis on DNA/exegetic identification, as well as a DNA registry at Wallace Corp. The rule book also says the KIA has a bioscanner to read Nexus serial numbers... if the 9's don't have a printed serial number, can it scan their DNA to identify them? Or take their DNA samples to Wallace?

It's not explicitly stated anywhere that I can see, so maybe this is up to the game runners to decide. It's a bit inconvenient if the 9's all have numbers if you want to tell a story with a secret replicant or similar theme.

BrianG

Re: Rules Clarification: Identifying a Nexus 9

Mon 17 Jul 2023, 09:35

From BR2049: Dr. Ana Stelline: "Nice to meet you, Officer KD6-3.7" This is when he first meets her and shows her his ID.
He also gives that as his name to Deckard who responds; "That's not a name that's a serial number".

So far from looking at what I see in the RPG book and in BR2049, it does not seem that the serial of a replicant is a kept secret for N-9's. The movie infers that they do not even have names and only serial numbers. The NPCs from the Starter Set infers that they have single names derived from their the serial numbers, and Electric Dreams infers that these are at least codenames if not the names they go by proper. (No spoilers in this post, but this thread probably belongs in GM's Only).

As a GM, you could assume that Wallace kept the eye convention for biometric proof. That's probably what I would do. Perhaps there is a public registry kept for all N-9's that anyone can access. Hence why K's neighbors wrote "Skinner" on his apartment door indicating that they must know. I would say proof would be the eye, but much more than that visibly and you defeat the whole purpose of making them look like us in the first place. In public, they should be able to pass as human to strangers who do not know them or where they live, thus allowing under cover work. Perhaps they are not allowed to use full names legally and can only go by their serial numbers thus exposing them instantly as Reps to those they have business with (landlords, postal workers, fellow officers).

Single names like "K" or "Joe" might be used by friendly colleagues and friends, that is, if they happen to have any...

mcjakenberry
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 04:30

From BR2049: Dr. Ana Stelline: "Nice to meet you, Officer KD6-3.7" This is when he first meets her and shows her his ID.
He also gives that as his name to Deckard who responds; "That's not a name that's a serial number".

So far from looking at what I see in the RPG book and in BR2049, it does not seem that the serial of a replicant is a kept secret for N-9's. The movie infers that they do not even have names and only serial numbers. The NPCs from the Starter Set infers that they have single names derived from their the serial numbers, and Electric Dreams infers that these are at least codenames if not the names they go by proper.
Yeah, 100% agreed the serial numbers is a given since they're all over Electric Dreams, but they aren't really proof out in the field unless they carry some form of identification on them (like on their eyeball). Of course Wallace would have records of their own N9's and their serial numbers as well.
I would say proof would be the eye, but much more than that visibly and you defeat the whole purpose of making them look like us in the first place. In public, they should be able to pass as human to strangers who do not know them or where they live, thus allowing under cover work.
This is also my issue with assuming the eye convention still exists for the 9's, I feel like it defeats a lot of the purpose of using them as Blade Runners since if they're trying to blend in someone could easily just look at their eye and know where they came from. It also doesn't contribute to writing a story for players who want to have a secret replicant among them since they could just look at their eyes (unless they had their eye replaced and forgot about it somehow).

BrianG

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 09:17

As to the ease of reading N-9's:
If it helps, I noticed in the BR2049, it did not seem a very easy thing to get Sapper Morton's ID. He had to be forced and it seemed K had to use some kind of reader (KIA?) to make it visible and record it. Maybe the reader device is rare and proprietary? For the game, you can make it the KIA since only BR carry them. (not even regular cops)

Under cover:
I am not sure how much BR's need to go under "deep cover" like a DEA agent would. Deckard just grabbed a newspaper and just started acting geeky with a cheesy cover story about being with the "Guild for Variety Artists" or some nonsense when he confronted Zhora.
K just needs to not look like a beat cop, but Sapper clocked him right away. Blade Runners are just plain clothes detectives that are not trying to show the public they are police everywhere they go and thus available for ticketing every j-walker. They just need to pass a cursory look as civilians.
If a BR is taking on a deep cover, and they are a N-9. Just say they can only get busted by a person who knows how to use the old VK machines (rare) or has a BR or Wallace proprietary eye reader/kia (rare). Or can take a bone sample (painful) and read the serial number. This should make it tough enough to preclude an MS-13 street warlord from just seeing that they are a N-9 by the look of their eye.

Secret Replicant with false memories:
Maybe they never thought to check themselves? Maybe they never had to be checked? I can think of several ways you can integrate secret replicants into the LAPD/RDU but will leave that conversation for the GM channel. ;)

mcjakenberry
Topic Author

Thu 20 Jul 2023, 03:19

As to the ease of reading N-9's:
If it helps, I noticed in the BR2049, it did not seem a very easy thing to get Sapper Morton's ID. He had to be forced and it seemed K had to use some kind of reader (KIA?) to make it visible and record it. Maybe the reader device is rare and proprietary? For the game, you can make it the KIA since only BR carry them. (not even regular cops)
I had to go back and rewatch that scene, I see what you mean, though! I actually like that a lot better. The KIA being proprietary tech to the blade runners and being what makes the serial number readable/visible is acceptable to me. It just seemed like a weird thing to just have outwardly visible.
I can think of several ways you can integrate secret replicants into the LAPD/RDU but will leave that conversation for the GM channel. ;)
Definitely going to hit you up in the GM only channel, would love to hear your ideas!

And thanks for the discussion, I appreciate it!