thomaskrantz
Topic Author

Starter set vs full rules

Thu 13 Jul 2023, 12:21

Hi!

We are thinking of trying a one-shot with Bladerunner. I was wondering if the complete rules are worth getting as well if we are only going to play the starter set? We are very familiar with RPGs so we would like to have the complete rules if they will add anything to the game.

Also, are the included characters necessary for the story or can the players create their own?

Fenhorn

Re: Starter set vs full rules

Thu 13 Jul 2023, 12:27

The starter set have all the rules you need to run that scenario with the pregens included but doesn't contain any character generation rules and of course no setting and campaign rules.

If you want to create your own characters and play the scenario with those then the core book is needed.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

thomaskrantz
Topic Author

Thu 13 Jul 2023, 13:48

Thank you!

Falenthal

Fri 14 Jul 2023, 10:45

Although I haven't been comparing both books side to side, I'd say that regarding rules for playing, the Starter Rules have ALL rules from the Core Book.
The full Blade Runner rules are so simple, that shortening or simplifying them is unnecessary.

As said, you would lack character creation and progression, and surely some Equipment an extras. But noting AFAIK regarding rules and game mechanics.