ksmith1971
Topic Author

Religion

Fri 09 Jun 2023, 05:46

I've got the Quickstart and I'm considering getting the full game BUT... I would want to play Dragonbane it in my home-brew world, in which clerical magic is centrally important. Can the magic system of Dragonbane be adapted to allow for clerics and paladins?

Short Fey

Re: Religion

Fri 09 Jun 2023, 08:24

Yes and no?

If you want spellcasting paladins and heavily armored clerics akin to other fantasy ttrpg's then no, as mages can't cast spells while wearing and wielding metal unless it's tiny.

But there is nothing stopping you from making your mages being part of a religious order (the book even says that a possible origin for magic was as a gift from the gods). So you could have more like a mage priesthood and for the paladins they are knigths who wield enchanted weapons and items enchanted/blessed by the priests, so while the paladins can't directly cast spells, they have magical swag that can do it for them.
Beware the fey!

ksmith1971
Topic Author

Fri 09 Jun 2023, 09:50

Yes and no?

If you want spellcasting paladins and heavily armored clerics akin to other fantasy ttrpg's then no, as mages can't cast spells while wearing and wielding metal unless it's tiny.

But there is nothing stopping you from making your mages being part of a religious order (the book even says that a possible origin for magic was as a gift from the gods). So you could have more like a mage priesthood and for the paladins they are knigths who wield enchanted weapons and items enchanted/blessed by the priests, so while the paladins can't directly cast spells, they have magical swag that can do it for them.
Thanks for the info. Does the magic system include spells that serve the same functions as traditional cleric spells (healing, turning, banishing, blessing/buffing, divining)?

Ugglefar

Fri 09 Jun 2023, 10:07

Yes and no?

Thanks for the info. Does the magic system include spells that serve the same functions as traditional cleric spells (healing, turning, banishing, blessing/buffing, divining)?

There are three schools of magic in the basic game; Animism, Elementalism and Mentalism. They will for sure add more magic schools with time.

Animism is kind of a mix between druid and cleric spells from D&D. So you get spells like Banish, Lightning Flash, Heal Wound, Purge, Restoration, Ensnaring Roots et cetera.

P.S. If you want a more classic D&D cleric and paladin feeling you can just simply avoid using the more nature based spells of Animism. School of Mentalism has spells such as Enchant Weapon.

Short Fey

Fri 09 Jun 2023, 15:28

Yes and no?

There are three schools of magic in the basic game; Animism, Elementalism and Mentalism. They will for sure add more magic schools with time.

Animism is kind of a mix between druid and cleric spells from D&D. So you get spells like Banish, Lightning Flash, Heal Wound, Purge, Restoration, Ensnaring Roots et cetera.

P.S. If you want a more classic D&D cleric and paladin feeling you can just simply avoid using the more nature based spells of Animism. School of Mentalism has spells such as Enchant Weapon.
Yeah, Animisim holds the "typical" healing/banish undead types of spells along with "druid" spells, but "blessing and divination" would be on Mentalism. So your "clerics" can focus mainly on those two schools (You can know more than one school of magic at a time, so it is possible to cheery pick spells for npcs) Elementalisem is aims more for damage dealing and manipulating said elements.
Beware the fey!

MacDhomnuill

Sat 10 Jun 2023, 05:07

Sooo I like my divine magic with a big chunk of role play. So I use a hybrid of the Harnmaster divine magic and a small supplement called As The Gods Demand. Both systems required PCs to do things to earn divine favor they can spend on casting magic. Basically the character has to do things like spend down time praying at a temple, leading ceremonies or rituals, possibly recruiting converts (depending on the god/goddess they serve), and basically doing what very devout religious lay people or priests do. Every God/Goddess, cult etc has its own flavor and spell lists, the devout (divine casters) have three basic levels each with its own spells and increasing responsibilities. Finally players have to act in accordance with their deities commandments. Sound complex but I promise it plays great and forces players to role play a bit.

ksmith1971
Topic Author

Tue 13 Jun 2023, 05:07

Yeah, Animisim holds the "typical" healing/banish undead types of spells along with "druid" spells, but "blessing and divination" would be on Mentalism. So your "clerics" can focus mainly on those two schools (You can know more than one school of magic at a time, so it is possible to cheery pick spells for npcs) Elementalisem is aims more for damage dealing and manipulating said elements.
Thanks guys. Your input was helpful.

ksmith1971
Topic Author

Tue 13 Jun 2023, 05:08

Sooo I like my divine magic with a big chunk of role play. So I use a hybrid of the Harnmaster divine magic and a small supplement called As The Gods Demand. Both systems required PCs to do things to earn divine favor they can spend on casting magic. Basically the character has to do things like spend down time praying at a temple, leading ceremonies or rituals, possibly recruiting converts (depending on the god/goddess they serve), and basically doing what very devout religious lay people or priests do. Every God/Goddess, cult etc has its own flavor and spell lists, the devout (divine casters) have three basic levels each with its own spells and increasing responsibilities. Finally players have to act in accordance with their deities commandments. Sound complex but I promise it plays great and forces players to role play a bit.
Thanks for this. I didn't know about the two sources you mentioned, so I'll definitely check them out.