Tibila2
Topic Author

Messing up in a single walker attack?

Wed 07 Jun 2023, 07:30

Normally, when you mess up, you may suffer a single walker attack depending on the circumstances. It is said that the attack is resolved in a single roll, but is there any negative outcome if you succeed the attack but mess up the roll? Don't see it anywhere

9littlebees

Re: Messing up in a single walker attack?

Wed 07 Jun 2023, 08:07

If you succeed against the walker attack but roll a walker on the stress dice (on the walker attack roll), then you mess up again. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean by negative outcome in this context as you're talking about two rolls (the initial test and the single walker attack).
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Tibila2
Topic Author

Thu 08 Jun 2023, 03:17

So you basically can receive another walker attack?
I mean, the punishment for messing up is (normally), rising threat lvl or a SWA. I was just wandering that if it is "fair", or intended to, that you suffer another punishment for messing up inside a punishment.

EldritchGremlin

Thu 08 Jun 2023, 04:46

So the Mess Up list has a bunch of options on-top of raising the threat/ swarm number.

Raise the swarm number (You were loud and alerted more)
Run out of a resource (Used your last bullets killing it)
Break Something Important (Your weapon broke killing it)

You can really introduce anything into the scene as a consequence of rolling a walker.

Tibila2
Topic Author

Thu 08 Jun 2023, 05:21

I have another doubt, when you roll for a walker attack do you get a stress point? Cuz there is the talent ice in the veins that states that defends you from a SWA stress point... that means that every SWA will sum a stress point up? This seems a little bit cascade effect.

Also, if I see 1 or 2 walkers (not really a swarm yet) if I want to kill them is a skill roll (close/ ranged combat) or is it already a SWA?

Cuz if it is a SWA and u get stress from every attack, this will makes the PC very on edge every time it faces walkers... stress will stack very quickly

EldritchGremlin

Thu 08 Jun 2023, 05:36

You would take stress when the attack starts, and if the Threat Level reaches 3.

So if it's still the same scene you can 2 stress for that (and anything else that happens like getting bit, or seeing someone get bit), but you don't have to keep giving out stress every single attack or round, players will be wanting to push rolls to win so they'll be adding stress that way as well. So think about that as a walker atttack per scene for 1 stress.

Ice in the veins lets you mitigate the stress you would accrue during the scene for walker attacks/ swarm attacks.

Yeah so say there's like 2-3 walkers on the fenceline and a player wants to go up and like pop them through the fence you would only roll close combat once, a success means you've taken them all out, no need to roll 3 times unless theres multiple failures, but that that point I'd have them through the fence and bad things are happening.

Tibila2
Topic Author

Thu 08 Jun 2023, 06:09

That means that every SWA is made with 2 stress minimum: 1 for being spotted by the walkers and 1 for the SWA itself? I mean, every SWA is at least Threat Level 3 (actually 5, as they are really close to you, but that doesn't matter cuz it's not a swarm we're talking about)