ghost_warlock
Topic Author

Banish again - is (sphere) a typo

Fri 02 Jun 2023, 13:13

I've read that the spell underwent a bunch of changes during development.

The most recent pdf I have lists the range on Banish as an area attack with a range of 10 meters (sphere), while the higher-tier spell Purge is single-target.

Since both spells only target enemies and Purge would average only 2-damage more than Banish even against a single target, it doesn't make sense to me why anyone would ever use Purge.

Rathalos32

Re: Banish again - is (sphere) a typo

Fri 02 Jun 2023, 18:09

Oh yeah, Banish... again... I had bad times with this spell, but TBH, I don't think it's a typo. I think it's intended to be AoE and PURGE to be single-target, but not that I agree with it. This has been raised quite a lot, but they didn't change it in the end.

simontmn

Sat 03 Jun 2023, 18:51

The most recent pdf I have lists the range on Banish as an area attack with a range of 10 meters (sphere), while the higher-tier spell Purge is single-target.

Since both spells only target enemies and Purge would average only 2-damage more than Banish even against a single target, it doesn't make sense to me why anyone would ever use Purge.
Purge permanently exorcises ghosts and other come-back-again undead.

Fenhorn

Sat 03 Jun 2023, 19:11

My guess is that sphere should be removed from the Banish spell since the effect of the spell has been changed into a weaker variant of Purge. They forgot to remove 'Sphere' from range when they changed the spell effect.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

ghost_warlock
Topic Author

Sun 04 Jun 2023, 05:41

Purge permanently exorcises ghosts and other come-back-again undead.
To be fair, that's buried in the monster stat block so, presumably, players wouldn't know that to have it affect their spell choices unless they're peeking at the GM section

Short Fey

Sun 04 Jun 2023, 18:33

What i find with Banish is that it might not be AS good as it might appear.
Now sure, it deals 2d8 damage against all undead and demonic creatures within a 10m sphere that can't be avoided and armor has no effect. But excluding any potential creatures you may encounter in the adventure, the bestiary has only 4 monsters that the spell is viable against (Demons, Ghosts, Skeletons and Wrights). And of those four, the only ones you're going to likely encounter in a hoard are Skeletons. So depending on the adventure or campaign being played, this could be constant, or very rarely.
And when you fight any of the other three, you are likely (but not always depending on the game) going to face one of them against the party, meaning the aoe aspect is rendered moot.

Overall i'd say the usefulness of these spells will be dependent on what kind of monsters that is added to the game over time. If there are more monsters that purge has an effect against, it would make the spell more overall useful, and having more monsters you can have in large groups would make banish more useful.
Beware the fey!