Sebastian

Re: Anyone else is dissapointed with TWD RPG?

Fri 02 Jun 2023, 11:17

In my understanding, the Wolf scenario is a typical convention adventure, an introduction to the rules. You have less options here, and it gets straight to the point.

More options or examples or factions for sandbox gaming in the core is surely a good idea. As a game developer you can do this, or not. Depends how many pages you want to fill and how crunchy the book should get. But that’s personal taste and as mentioned above, I‘m happy as it is. But I‘m also a person, who wouldn’t complain if there would be too much crunch for my taste. In Alien for example I don‘t use like 50 percent of the stuff, cause I don’t need it. It’s still a great RPG, but do I really need that much content to play? TWD RPG here is more in my corner of text-art-crunch balance.

evilgaz

Tue 06 Jun 2023, 17:47

I'm a bit baffled when folk ask for more "lore" or sophisticated rules for this sort of game. I personally don't need more pages of background about the real world but zombified, however I'm always in the market for more adventure-generating tools or implied setting and points of interest through deep tables of cool shizzle. I mean, the TV show and comics don't really have more lore in, so asking for those kinds of details in a core book (rather than say, a setting book) doesn't seem appropriate. The relationships between the PCs, NPCs and new people they encounter will develop the game world as everyone at the table introduces elements about them.

On the rules front, for me the lighter rules set (TFTL, Vaesen) definitely work the best and a lot of the fun of those games is providing a solid structure and interesting character aspect for the game to then come out at the table via what each individual group bring to it. There's enough "crunch" to give you choices and each skill has its place where it shines, so overall I think that's on the money.

More examples on Projects would be handy, e.g. there's no example of a Security 3 project and more variety is always good. Even though it isn't massively hard to infer your own projects, it never hurts to give people more inspiration. If there's anything added to the book I would suggest it's more gameable ideas, generators for more factions or places with "setting" built into the entries and so forth.

I've seen people elsewhere saying there's not enough in the book (either lore or something else), for me I think it's a case of not seeing the potential you can build off the solid base. Apocalypse World and other post apoc games do well from providing a flavourful starting point, and the meat of the game comes from the play at the table and when the players and GM bring.

Tibila2

Tue 06 Jun 2023, 21:13

I really disagree with this aproach... the combat system is rules light and i think is very good - simple, straightforward, easy to remember and functional. Otherwise, the heavens system is far from that - it's more like 'oh, yeah... you have a heaven and you cand do shit in there... you are the GM think for yourself'... it's shallow and is almost a reminder to the GM houserule this part of the system himself... many topics tand systems throughout the book could have a little bit more depth and yet still be rules light.

EldritchGremlin

Wed 07 Jun 2023, 01:51

Has anyone here that thinks the Haven/ Project system is light, run the game yet? I've found that all that stuff is answered through play from the narrative, Like if your players come across a Boat, a Penthouse Apartment, or in my game an old pizza restaurant, in the moment as you're describing the location, if the players decide they want to set it up as a Haven, and a massive list isn't going to help if what the players come across isn't in it.

Projects are the same, once your players have decided on a haven, you can just ask them what they want they want to do as characters to fortify it and then you can decide what the requirements will be, It'll also give your players drives for their scavenging runs and what they need to find.

Like I've found this game super easy to GM since a lot of the challenges and answers just come from what the players are doing at the moment, Mine are currently returning from a run to find a missing Haven NPC, and a lot has happened in that time, every challenge comes from them wanting to check hospitals for medical supplies or find more weapons, or radios.

Foqu

Tue 13 Jun 2023, 18:42

I agree that the Haven section is light, me like many others here would very much like to see a larger selection of projects.

Nilo

Tue 13 Jun 2023, 20:52

I agree that the Haven section is light, me like many others here would very much like to see a larger selection of projects.
The projects are not a selection as in for example Mutant Year Zero or Vaesen. You are not meant to choose something from the list, in game.

If you, for example, want to build a minefield around your base and you have fields around the haven and mines in store it would be a completely different project than if your base is surrounded by forest and you don’t have any mines. You would need more people to clear the trees, for one thing. The same goes if you for example want to build a well, and you have your haven in a desert, or if you have it in a lake area. Number of people, tech level etc will vary depending on circumstances.

The examples in the book are meant to be only examples. In real play you will have to agree on the projects, in relation to the fiction: what the characters want to do, what they have, and where they are. It will not be possible to look at the example list and choose something. Projects are meant to be a discussion around the table, communication about what is plausible when considering the fiction.

basic_element

Wed 14 Jun 2023, 07:38

I know that KS products cannot be refunded, and at some point, I can sell the RPG to someone else. But I fell completely dumb on paying Special Editin price for a rule book when is actually just a hard cover notebook. THAT is a scam.
Absolutely not a scam in any way. And if the game is not what you expected, we can absolutely get you a refund - just reach out to support@frialigan.se and we'll take care of it.
That is great news. Really good to hear. I requested a cancellation of my pledge via email!
Unfortunately, from now, I'll pass on all future TWD products, but I'll definitely look for other franchises' expansion if they keep up with expectations and early releases (Alien RPG)
Did you have any luck getting a refund? I emailed FL support two weeks ago requesting a refund but never got a response. I tried email again today so hopefully it goes through this time.