Desrimal
Topic Author

Experience

Sun 28 May 2023, 10:55

Hello. Quick question: The rulebook states that you get skill and adventure points at the end of every session AND at the end of the adventure phase. The experience per session is basically 1 point per hour, but how much experience should heroes reviece at the end of the adventuring phase?

Dunheved

Re: Experience

Sun 28 May 2023, 12:36

Better people than me will give a more certain response on this: however to get the ball started...

If they have not done so already, the Loremaster is always free to award bonus Experience when they want to and if they wish to. Hopefully some people will weigh in with their examples of what they have done or recommend.
I ran one short Adventure and allocated the standard Adventure and Skill points during that time. Before handing the Fellowship Phase to the players I totalled the five sessions to 15 Skill Points and 15 Adventure Points. But gave out 2 SP and 1AP as Bonusses for the players who took part in a prologue session while the game was building. (It was online and so some players joined us during the adventure.)
Now the CONCLUSION of the Adventuring Phase is identical to the BEGINNING of the Fellowship Phase since one leads directly into the other: so being given Experience at the start of the FP is effectively the same as being given it at the end of the Adventuring Phase.

The FP doesn't give you any Experience, although entering the YULE FP will give players a "Christmas bonus" of extra Skill Points- as many points as your Wits level - and you can spend those bonus Yule Skill points on development straight away.
In short the only default Experience is the YULE bonus Skill points: but you can expect to get separate (over-arching) Experience awarded on an ad-hoc basis by the Loremaster, although there is no set RAW calculation here.

HunterGreen

Sun 28 May 2023, 14:16

I think the intent is that you count up the experience you're going to give at the end of every session, but you don't actually award them until the end of the adventure. But there's no real reason not to just award them at the end of the session if that's easier for you, since it's not like the players can spend them. So it's really about the paperwork. On paper maybe it's easier to not have to write a new number every session and save it up until the end of the adventure. If you're playing with online character sheets, it might be easier to just give them out at the end of the session to avoid having to keep track.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Desrimal
Topic Author

Sun 28 May 2023, 14:56

Thank you for your replies!

Your proberbly right - it makes sense to "collect" points during sessions to be given out at the end of the adventuring phase.

However, I find the wording: "In game terms, players earn points at the end of each session and at the end of the Adventuring Phase" odd. If your not supposed to give extra points at the end of the adventuring phase as well that's a strange way to put it. I'll proberbly give the players a little extra experience points (1-5) depending on how well they fared during their adventure...
Last edited by Desrimal on Tue 30 May 2023, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

HunterGreen

Mon 29 May 2023, 14:20

It also covers the moment when the adventuring phase ends but it's not yet the end of the session.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Desrimal
Topic Author

Tue 30 May 2023, 10:31

It also covers the moment when the adventuring phase ends but it's not yet the end of the session.
Exactly! It seems right to give out a little extra ad hoc experience at this point.