soviethero1945
Topic Author

Update on Building Better worlds pdf?

Mon 29 May 2023, 18:09

Hi there

Just curious if anyone knows if there’s been any updates on the release for the pdf of building better worlds.

Not complaining just excited!

Rusty71

Re: Update on Building Better worlds pdf?

Mon 29 May 2023, 18:25

I contacted someone in customer services and they said they are waiting on the go ahead to release the pdf and I was told it would be very soon

soviethero1945
Topic Author

Tue 30 May 2023, 00:37

I contacted someone in customer services and they said they are waiting on the go ahead to release the pdf and I was told it would be very soon
Ah nice

May I ask how long ago it was you asked?

Rusty71

Fri 02 Jun 2023, 17:47

I contacted them nearly 2 weeks ago

dakes101

Mon 05 Jun 2023, 10:16

I visited the Free League stand at the UK Games Expo this weekend and chatted to them about the potential release date. Whilst the team were unable to confirm exact timescales they did say that it was in the final stages of sign off. "Soon." Seems to be the word of the day :-)
When the cursor starts blinking, it is already too late

aramis

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 02:41

Impatiently wondering, "Is it «soon» yet?"
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Angelman

Wed 26 Jul 2023, 14:16

I have a personal theory as to why Disney/FOX might be delaying the approval/signing-off-of BBW.

(I post this here in the GM section due to possible spoiler discussions)

I am currently running HoD, and OH MAN is that story a bold expansion of the world/IP! It basically re-integrates the mad mindscapes of H. R. Giger back into the Alien universe from whence the xenomorph was originally born, thereby embellishing the setting quite massively. Thinking about it, it’s actually quite surprising that HoD itself passed through the IP checks and got approved.

Following clues from HoD and other Alien RPG stories, we can safely assume that BBW will pick up the Engineer plot and run with it. BBW will take place hundreds of parsecs spinwards of the Middle Heavens, around where the lost colonies were once set up and whereto the Engineer musical notes/DNA sequence/galactic coordinates from FW & HoD were pointing. We will likely explore the major meta-plotlines of the franchise even further in BBW, with ramifications for the entire IP… and the IP holder could very well have major reservations against allowing a random RPG to advance the themes and plots and tropes this bluntly, thereby possibly hamstringing future movies and TV series, etc.

I therefore think it is quite likely that FL got a slap on the wrist from Disney/FOX/whomever-IP-folks, and were asked to tone down the meta-plot explorations to something less invasive and resolute for the IP.

Or, I could have finally lost the last of my marbles… who knows?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

ExileInParadise

Wed 26 Jul 2023, 17:23

I don't speak for Disney/Fox or anything - and while that is an interesting idea - it doesn't strike me as that likely and here's why:

Writing and editing and layout etc is just plain hard - delays can happen.

Disney/Fox would have no issue "overriding" the RPG-established parts of canon with any future movie or streaming developments.

Andrew Gaska's own defining canon page basically even says so ... that ALIEN RPG is canon until overridden by future film / stream development.

So, CotG, DoW, HoD, and BBW are no problem being canon until they aren't - if ever - due to later development.

This also already happened in a huge way with Star Wars when the extended universe/dark empire stuff was tossed.

And, it happened with ALIEN itself when all the previous Dark Horse stuff got tossed and replaced with Prometheus/Covenant and the Titan books line.

So, at this point, I am personally thinking BBW is just taking extra polish time to save erratas and reprints.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Angelman

Wed 26 Jul 2023, 18:01

All fair points, mate. Although, Tomas himself mentioned (on Facebook) that BBW has yet to be approved, and additional updates will follow once they pass that milestone. So, either Disney/FOX cares about what BBW has to say and is holding back on approving it over some issues that need to be ironed out, or... it's simply a matter of Disney/FOX not really caring at all and the IP lawyer peoples are off on vacation or overworked or something, and have just not gotten around to approving it yet. (There is also the possibility, of course, that BWW has been approved, but FL chose not to say anything as they prepare for a major PR push, or whatever).
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Fri 28 Jul 2023, 21:34

Update ... Tomas said some important designers fell ill. So we'll wait a little longer for the Building Better Words product. Take your time guys and get well. We're in no hurry.

Arthur.